, greatly, appreciated, paying, tired, ideas, found, checking, reset, problem, specific, newer, start, appears, robbing, model, 2008s, dying, cough, xb12xt, people, issue, idling" /> 2008 Uly XB12XT

Thread: 2008 Uly XB12XT

Ok, I'm starting a specific thread to this model as it appears so few people have 2008's - Newer and much to do with them.

To start...robbing from my other Computer thread...I've done some checking and found how to do a TPS reset without the computer. Problem...I've done that and am still having the same issue with the bike starting (cold) and idling for nearly a second or two then just dying with a "cough". Does anyone have any ideas? I did have a rocker box leak that spewed enough oil all over the place that it blew out the fan and that had to be replaced. Does anyone know if this could have cause other issues with the electronics? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm tired of paying $118 an hour for labor to my dealer who is worthless. Thanks in advance!

I have another thread on here documenting my startup issues (2009 xt).

xt dies at startup.

In summary, problem remains after many dealer attempts to fix it. (See thread for more info). I am taking it in for an ecm replacement Saturday (cracked) which I'm hoping will resolve my issue.

If yours does it only once, only at startup, and doesn't have a wandering idle at startup then don't worry too much. HD tech claims that the 2008 and newer oil pumps create a vacuum upon shut-off which sucks some oil back into the pump and lines or something. The first start attempt is the pump pushing out the oil, and the second attempt it ought to fire fine. Ought to, mind you, but this explanation seems like a line to me. At least in my case.

Watch the videos in the thread of my startup issue and compare. Mine would take up to 5x to start some days especially in the cold.

Hope that helps some! If the ecm replacement fixes it, I will of course report back!

Edit: Double post, mods please delete this one!

I have an 08 and I found and read on BWB that happens for the first few months. Mine did the same and then it just went away and it starts first try every time. Or you can get a EBR ecm and transform the bike

Man, I get scared when I read stuff like this but my '09 just kicks over and runs like a champ from the git go. "Course I ride in SoCal and haven't tried to start or run it below maybe 50 Fahrenheit.

My '08 XT takes 2 clicks almost every time when cold, I plan on it, I give it a good 1-2 second bump, release, and just a bump and she fires right up, I have EBR ECM and KN filter, Iridium plugs