Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight reflective coating

Just brought a 05 xb12r and found during a cleaning the reflective coating inside both headlights is crap and looks as if it has been rubbed off in places. Can I get it re coated

Take a look on the site for info about the headlight recall - that's the issue it was meant to address. I think I still have pics up here that will likely look pretty similar to what you found...

It's just too bad that the recall ended December '10. (Unless there's been another extension - which there's been no forum traffic on). If you can't get it recoated, you could try some of the "chrome" paint from duplicolor I think it is - but not 100% sure how it will hold up to the heat of a bulb. It may need recoating from time to time.

Another option would be to replace the projector with a Hella one.

Most just order new or remove them from the mods they do and some put a brighter bulb in. However the reflector can be recoated but you would be cost wise to buy a new light it's friggin expensive but some go that route.
    Before you spend money remove the reflector and reinstall the light so you can ride Make Note of the brightness on both lights on one at a time, and go from there. Lots of Buellers have removed the Low beam reflector to get more light at night.
    I just gently altered mine and it made some difference. I use my brights only when I need to due to mountain Riding you don't want to Blind oncoming Traffic they may just run you over. Post up with a picture if possible of the reflector. Someone may be able to help you with one somewhere OR E-bay. post up and Welcome to the forum.*Jimi

Cheers living in new Zealand everything is twice as much. For example a new firebolt headlight is $179 NZD (215 USD)for one to get one of mine vacumn aluminum coated was going to cost the same. For a start I have tried the painting option I found a paint which is used to paint bumpers on cars to get a chrome finish. It came up really well just wIting 24 hrs to let it set before turning on the lights. will post with results soon

you can find a good used headlight assembly on ebay and Buellsterparts.com maybe ironmachine.com and some other places alot cheaper than buying a new one , just get one for the 2008 to 2010 models . or at least one that has had the recall done on it.

here is one on ebay that has had the recall done according the listing
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buell...item1e65f8fdbd

here is some links that should help you find some more buell info, & how-to's, mods, & lots more. the second link has all the places that you can find buell parts, and a link to all the ebay stores that sell buell parts & used buell parts too in that link too.

150-Helpful-Links-for-Buellers....and-Growing.
    Buell-Clothing--Parts-List---Foreign--Domestic
    pegasusraceteam.com racewear
    EBR racing team Donate Page support crew
    Erik Buell Racing .com
    Erik Buell & EBR gear & merchandise
    Erik Buell Racing team & Geoff May..BuellXB thread
    ...make sure you fill out your profile!
    PERSONAL-PROFILES
    and dont forget to put yourself on the Buell Map!
    New-Google-Map-for-Buellers
    tell us about Your first Buell sighting & Why-did-you-buy-your-Buell?

Did anyone every try using Roofers aluminum flashing tape to recover the reflectors? It's thin aluminum tape with an adhesive back. Applied right, it will conform to curves and hold fast. Not sure about about how it reacts to the heat, but I would assume it would hold up well if its meant to be baking in the sun all day. I used it on under the seat heat shields, it seems to be holding up so far.

I tried the chrome paint in my tail light and it increased lighting I don't see why that won't work in the headlight.

this is the stuff I used on my headlights, I let it cure for 24hours and have noticed no evcessive heat build up so far at idle with both lights on I will take bike for a spin tonight to see what the lights are like. So far so good

So I'm doubting myself I put my headlights back together and I think I mixed up the lenses which one is the high beam glass the one which is clear or the one with the circle of frosted dimpled glass in the middle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast