Thread: Primary Chain Aduster Stripped/Repair

My bike was not running very well, seemed not to have much power. It was lurching in first gear. Went to tighten the primary chain and the bolt stripped right away. I barely tightened it, and it was pretty loose to start. I don't know how long it had been partially stripped or what caused it to strip. Oil started leaking out of the primary adjuster bolt. Took primary cover off and found that the threads of the adjuster on the primary cover itself, were stripped completely smooth. I thought perhaps the previous owner stripped it and made a makeshift or temporary repair because the primary chain was loose when I bought it.

A new primary cover is about $250, the Harley shop wanted $50 just to add the heli-coil in order to repair the thread. Ultimately I took the cover to a local machine shop and they did the work in about 20 minutes for $25.

The heli-coil is great stuff, it's stainless steel, so now the threads are stronger than they were(aluminum) Also added blue thread lock to help hold the bolt in place. The bolt to the bottom of the adjuster was missing the nylon bushing. Harley wanted $11 for the nut with the nylon bushing. Instead bought nylon washer from Ace Hardware for .15 cents and it is holding up great so far.

Also, I added heavy grease to the clutch bearings while I had it off and the clutch is super smooth now.

Here are some photos of the repair:

Yep thats a grat Reworking for that problem. Nice work. Just don't use any thread lock like a customer of mine did. I had to do a repair like yours simular and the Helicoil is a great option for NOT spending 240. bucks. Good picts by the way. How's the primary chain? check the side to side wear on the chain. They are pretty tough. 75/90 Amsoil is good for these Transmissions and the clunking almost goes away.Drop the temperature about 10 degrees or so also.*Jimi

Thanks, the chain is good. I'll look into the oil. I like the 20/50 synthetic so far. It's a great improvement over whatever was in there when I bought it. It shifts smooth. The only time I notice a problem is if I shift to low at too high a speed. Curious how the clutch would work with that heavy an oil.

It will drop the Temperature about 10 degrees and protect your parts from excessive wear.Helps with shifting some also. Been working on bikes about 32years, so far I haven't put anybodys Bike in the Shop Except to tow it in, unless it was brought to my Uncles/& mine Shop for whatever was needed from wear or just wrecked or maybe just Maintenance.Every once in a while we get a good build to do etc. Ride it Safe. *Jimi

I get to do this tomorrow if I can find someone with a heli-coil kit in stock...lucky me

I might try that 75/90. Ive heard that before too at my indy shop but was a little hesitant to it

The grading scales for gearbox lubricants & crankcase lubricants are different. The viscosity of a 75/90 gear oil is actually equivalent to a 20/50 engine oil.
    Either is said to be fine for the XB's primary case though I personally use gear oil for its greater shear resistance.

I agree with you. I hadn't looked at the comparison in viscosities until last night.

I used gear oil in the transfer case of my jeep instead of ATF for the same reason.

The grading scales for gearbox lubricants & crankcase lubricants are different. The viscosity of a 75/90 gear oil is actually equivalent to a 20/50 engine oil.
    Either is said to be fine for the XB's primary case though I personally use gear oil for its greater shear resistance.
    ^^^^ That is some great info there !! ... I never knew that ...

I used gear oil in the transfer case of my jeep instead of ATF
    Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but another reason I like using gear oil is that one of my guilty pleasures is the unmitakable smell of the EP additives once warmed up...love it!:D

Very nice repair