Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: the big topic: tires

this is a post with my personal experience which can maybe help you in your choice of tires.
    all tires mentioned here below have been on my bike at some time, so it’s not a stab in the dark...but personal prefference does differ.

i’ve also added some pictures, since looks may have some influence in your choice ;)

Bridgestone BT010:
    A good tire for a somewhat sporty ride-style, but completely outdated.

Dunlop D207:
    the standard tire on my buell. a mediocre tire which doesn’t excel in any area and gets a bit unreliable when demanding that little extra during cornering.

Metzler M1 Sportec:
    this tire certainly is a looker! performs good on dry and even roads, but an accident waiting to happen on wet & uneven roads.

Continental Conti Force Max:
    A good tire, but still...
    the grip factor of this tire is above average but the tire seems to ‘hard’ and doesn’t seem absorb anything. There are alot of vibrations coming through, which you can already see when the bike is idling on sidestand. also, because the profile doesn’t go all the way up to the the flanks, performance on wet roads isn’t the best.

Pirelli Diablo:
    a good, reliable tire that can handle sporty riding. this one has it all and can handle the occasional track day, although it’s not his backyard.
    it does take a while for the flanks to get warm and during trackdays, they lose a bit of feedback.

Michelin Pilot Power:
    Michelin really gave it their all when the manufactured this tire, since the predecessors were not something worth spending money on. a good tire which can certainly handle trackdays, but looses to the diablo in wet conditions.

Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro:
    a supertire for trackdays en dry weather.
    for streetuse, the tire is way to soft and wears out much too soon.
    because the profile does not extend to the flanks, the performance in wet conditions are actually kinda dangerous, but can be fun if you can handle powerslides.

Pirelli Diablo Corsa III:
    also a very good tire.
    A neck to neck race with the pp2ct, but looses to it on mileage and roll-in.

Michelin Pilot Power 2ct:
    the tire i prefer at the moment!
    great grib, great mileage, short to no warm-up needed, excellent feedback.

Metzler Sportec M3:
    to be honest, i wasn't expecting much from this tire, as it is not one of the best sold brands here and when looking at their range, the profile they use are almost exact copies of existing tires. also, after my m1 experience i wasn't 100% sure if i even would try them...but man, i am blown away!
    the handling, feedback, grip are excellent...i would, no, i will say it outperforms the michelin pilot power 2ct in dry conditions. but when wet...the michelin pp2ct still has the upperhand.

of all tire brands i tested, both michelin & metzler are the 2 which enjoy my preference. ;)

Thanks for all your input Lefox! Right now I have the pirelli diablo stradas on mine. There supposed to compete with the Michelin Pilot Road 2ct. They are just a little cheaper. Hoping to get atleast 10k out of these.

I don't know if it is possible on this forum. To make this there a sticky would be a great idea. That way it is always near the top and easier to find.

AWESOME POST LeFOX.

Any thoughts on the Pirelli Scorpion Sync?

I was just about to ask that. I am wanting to switch to that or something similar.

Great post/thread indeed!

I just put on a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 2's. These are supposed to be the dual compound good in the wet tires. So far I like them but I'm going from a bald ass Dunlop 207 so anything would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrogg
    Thanks for all your input Lefox! Right now I have the pirelli diablo stradas on mine. There supposed to compete with the Michelin Pilot Road 2ct. They are just a little cheaper. Hoping to get atleast 10k out of these.
    the pilot road 2ct new generation...i'm guessing the flanks will have better grip thanks to the dual compound.
    but haven't tested them yet...they are on my friends bike, so i'll try and test them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrogg
    I don't know if it is possible on this forum. To make this there a sticky would be a great idea. That way it is always near the top and easier to find.
    forum would be loaded with sticky's then :o
    Quote Originally Posted by speedkills
    have some friends on uly's & beemers who are very happy with them for both road & offroad.
    they are stock on the 9s, but i haven't tested them yet...so for me it's all hear-say ;)

I can say the only issue i've had on my bike is all the freakin loose grit/dirt/gravel on fort knox paved roads, I'm almost freakin dumping it almost every time i ride on post, the other day i just knew i was going down, so i dropped from 2nd to 1st and ripped the throttle, spun caught some crete' and I was off like a bolt of lightning....err no pun intended...anyways, really like my syncs...

I am a fan of Avons just my opinion though

I am a fan of Avons just my opinion though
    Which model of Avons are you riding?

Avon Storm, pretty good in corners and nice when its wet, depends on location and weather in your area i live in Pa and there are some wet roads around here at times they grip pretty good

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast