Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 Octane cause engine light?

I was running out of gas and I was running out of options so I pulled into the next gas station I saw and it only had 87 and 89. I filled her up with some 89 but not all the way about half tank to get me home. I went to use it today and I got it running sputtered a little on take off and felt under powered. At a stop sign it started running rough and I had to keep high RPM's to keep her running then at the next light it died on take off. About this time the engine light turned on and I was able to baby my buell home. I hope that maybe the gas station isn't exactly selling the best gas and coupled with the wrong octane I can just drain the gas and be on my way. Couple of questions running through my head

Would running 89 octane cause these many problems?

How do I drain the gas tank?

Do I need to got o a dealer to reset the engine light?

The fuel pump on the rear of the frame has a Allen head bolt on the fuel pump plate unscrew that and let her drain.

Shouldnt

What he said

No

no i run 89-87 in my 05 all the time with no problems
    don't drain the gas (unless you put diesel in it) thats $15 down the drain, get some gas treatment if you want to make your self feel better.
    and light "no"
    some thing else is going on. check your codes

Check your spark plugs, its sounds like you fouled one.
    I don't think 89 will necessarily foul a plug, just sounds like a plug issue.
    BR

Sounds like maybe just bad gas, or another complete separate issue but yes check the plugs.

Inactive
    that's what he said! sounds like hajji mart bad fuel and fouled plugs. link on here for NGK iridium tipped plugs. ballpark of $8 each but money well spent.

NGK Iridium Spark plugs (DCPR9EIX) - Ran 89 in mine several times with no probs - Plugs first then drain the fuel if needed.

Checked the plugs today and they are hard to get out not much room to work with. I had some black soot deposits on them but didn't look to bad so I put it back together and ran her still lacks power and chokes some. Something else I noticed was my air filter was pretty dirty I ordered a new one maybe thats the problem but its weird that it would start acting up so quickly. Like I had just filled it with bad fuel or something.

I got new plugs and air filter on order from ASB I'll get some fresh fuel in it and see where I stand when my parts come in. I'm hoping its a bad filter or bad gas in the case of bad gas I wonder if tis possible that it fouled up a sensor.

sounds like it was hot out you were low on fuel and dumped cold gas on a hot pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast