Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only one cylinder? Blown Head Gasket? Bad Plugs? Whats the problem now?

So I normally ride my bike (2007 XB12ss) to work once a week. (Philadelphia to Harrisburg, 110 miles).

On my way there yesterday my bike ran great, on the way home, I decided to take the turnpike for a couple miles to move along faster. When I got off the turnpike I had to get toll money so I pulled of, put bike in neutral kick stand down, got money out, and dropped back into first.

Right away the bike started to run rough as ever and pump out more air than a steam engine.

Bike is 99.9% stock. Give it gas, and it pumps out air, can't tell where from. Thought maybe head gasket, but Im only at 6000 miles, and I dont see any oil or anything coming out. Runs very rough, and can't maintain idle at all. Seems to be only running on one cylinder.

Took air filter and such off to look, found a plug wire disconnected from the coil, reconnected, but still runs the same, so I might have knocked that off while I was trying to look at other things.

Any one have any ideas what could be wrong, what happened? Please help... Anything is appreciated.

Calling New Castle Buell tomorrow.

sounds like it blew a plug out

+1 on the plug. they tend to fowl out a bit on these bikes. id start there before going crazy.

mine idles rough aswell. changed plugs still does same thing, plugs were kinda crappy but when i pulled off plug wire a little rust came out. ordered new plug wires so hope that fixes it. wires might be yur next step if it still does after plugs. wires r $10.50 each from HD (both wires r the same)

You're hearing air come out?

Loose spark plug wire just sitting there.

I'd agree with anrkizm, it's running really well on one cylinder because a plug has blown out.

sounds like it blew a plug out
    Most likely.

Plug. Did the same thing to me.

Changed plugs over the weekend, went with the HD plugs that were reccomended, still same coughing extremely rough, just totally running not right.

I am pretty sure I got the boots back on and set correctly. I didnt check for spark when I had them out, so I might tear apart again and try for spark and try the NGK plugs to see if anything changes. Will also put some fresh gas in.

Any other ideas? Thanks for input.

Check the wires really well. Mine get rusty in the connectors and the resistance sucks on stock Buell wires. I made my own out of a universal MSD set. Works great. Check every wire you can. They tend to come loose or break off because of the vibration. There is always the TPS reset. Also check into an intake leak, it will run rough or "hunt" at idle trying to figure it out but can't because of unmetered air. An intake leak will also make her run hotter than normal. Good luck. Sucks when the red-headed step child runs wild....LOL

Checked plug wires today, theyre really clean, no rust. Ordered new ones anyhow just to be safe, but still runs like poop. Checked for spark, both plugs have good spark....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast