Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulysses Engine Noise

Primary kit came today:D

[img][/img]

And it fits.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Unfortunately, it calls for the primary crank bolt to be torques to 240-260ftlbs. and my torque wrench only gots to 150ftlbs. Looks like I've got to find one before I can complete this side of the engine.

Awesome build. Make me more worried that the motor i swapped into my 04 xb12s is a 07 motor. I had no idea of these known failures. My brothers xb12r is a 07 as well.. FML.

On a side note i thought that the 08 cranks weren't a direct bolt in without some machine work, etc? I guess you proved that wrong.

He did say that he had to get an 08 primary kit because of the crank being larger where it fits into the stator, that might be the machine work that was refered to

Ok, not much progress. Just replaced the seal on the output drive.

[img][/img]

You put red Loctite on the nut, then tighten the LH threaded nut with a b/a socket to 50ftlbs, then scribe the nut/gear relation.

[img][/img]

and then torque it another 30 degress. Now comes the lock plate.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

No machine work had to be done. You just need an assortment of right side crank bearings as they are different thicknesses(?) And as I found out, the left side shaft is larger and just needed an '08 primary gear which I ended up changing to the XB9 mod. I've always thought the first gear on the Uly was a bit high. Kind of wish they used a 36t primary. The 34t is standard XB9 and 38t the XB12. Something in between would be ideal IMO.

Oh, forgot, you need a new crank bolt and washer since the old crankshaft uses a nut and the new bolts are one time use.

Oy, I need a new pump.

Local HD dealer ordered me a 26357-02B, but from what I gathered, I should have a 26357-07? Since it's an '07, I believe they changed the oil pump. Not sure and very confused. Anyway, while waiting on that I put the left side cover on after changing the adjusting shoe. It was a missing an edge.

Replaced the shifter seal as well...

With the cover on, chain adjusted and clutch adjusted. I can actually add oil to it since it's all sealed.

I made and error and found out you have to install the starter before the primary cover.

It bolts from under the cover and also has a gasket the seal the trans and starter.

I put the cams in place since I wanted to install the rovker boxes and with the tension from the valve springs, I didn't want to tweak the cam bearings.

I replaced the crank seal. The old one was concaved and think the original builder must have assembled it on a friday.

Make sure you put some loctite on the bolt for the rotor, I used the blue.

Now the pickup. I didn't have to scribe it when I removed it, the screws did that for me and I just lined it all up.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast