Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ulysses Engine Noise

The ridges on the '08 crank triggers a crank sensor and it sets the timing is what I was told. The '07 goes by static timing. Yes, the heat does concern me as it seems higher than it used to be. Just don't want to melt a piston or seize and engine. Will get a thermometer sometime this week.

If thats the case then kentucky timing may be your best tool. how the engine cranks over when at operating temp may be another. and if its too far advanced it may run too hot. or crank over funny. you probably already know that. oh, do you have ecmspy? its a free download, you need to buy a cable off ebay or american sport bike.com .to interface with the bikes diag connector. you can see lots of sensors and maybe the heat sensor in the rear head. I'm not sure of that but if you do a little homework at ecmspy.com I think you can find out. and no check engine lite? you gotta be close if your not setting any codes. good luck!

Ok, finally got a laser thermometer. On sale from HF for $26, normally $59. A quick reading, iirc, ambient temps about 80deg F, rear cylinder 313F, front 304F, rear header 500F, front header at first big curl, 313F, frame temp above headers, I forget whether it was 124F or 142F. This was with the engine running after my commute of 22 miles on interstate.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678