, putting, suspicious, fearing, owner, previous, jellied, started, claiming, needed, seller, locks, recently, bought, instructed, locking, disaster, horrible, miles, filler, quickly" /> Front Brake Locks Up 1998 S3T

Thread: Front Brake Locks Up 1998 S3T

recently bought this bike with the seller claiming the front brake just needed to have the air bled from the front brake system... I bled the system with dot five (as instructed on filler lid) and then 25 miles down the road the brake started locking up and became a horrible disaster quickly. It's been since Aug 13th and I checked it today to visually inspect the fluid which looks clear and not jellied or anything suspicious...fearing the previous owner putting something other than dot five. Any suggestions what to do?

Make sure there is free play in the lever.

It could be that you may have a sticky piston in the brake caliper,just a thought.

Does it appear to be a stock lever? There are lots of tales on the Buell boards about people adapting accessory levers and having the same brake lock up issue.

Yes check to see if you have aftermarket Levers on the bike. Then check to see if Front Lever is touching the Master cylinders piston and slightly pushing in. You can remove the lever JUST for [Testing] take her out for a short ride.This way you can eliminate the caliper.
    OR, You can always push out slightly on the brake lever be [VERY Steady] doing this, when it is starting to do a lock down, and if it lets up that's hopefully the problem. Make sure that the Master Cylinder is the correct one for the bike and that someone didn't drop it or something and put the wrong one on it to sell it.
    If the Bike was sitting more than being Ridden you could have just a bad Caliper that doesn't return due to the old fluid got contamanated from lack of use and no Heat. The Caliper should be removed and pull the lever with no Pads on it to watch the action of the pistons.
    Don't go too far or out they may go. Sometimes it's a good idea to go over the brakes completely when you get a NEW TO You Ride. Check to see if the seals are good or starting to dryrot. Work safely when it comes to brakes. *Jimi

bad caliper,hose or aftermarket levers

Thanks much for all the advise guys...
    Still am recovering from a nasty spill as a result of the problem,however this is very helpful and gives me more direction once I'm able to get into it.:)

+1 on the aftermarket levers. Mine locked me up in the middle of a 4 lane and I was nearly taken out by the truck behind. Rode fine for 30 minutes before locking - a little filing fixed the issue.