Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ecm spy on windows 7

my tps needs a reset but wont find com port on windows 7 should i use win xp just tryed it again it finds com port but still wont run ,closed loop dose not turn to green when port (com6)detected?.

ecm spy com port is there device manager says all ok but ecmspy says recived error got NAK any help please running prog on win 7 on a xb9r 2002 .

I have windows 7 and the com port problem as well. My laptop is at home but I'll try to recall what I can:

- Under Device Manager, expand the USB Controllers tree.
    - Find the correct USB port you are using (mine had a yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to it)
    - Right-click it and select Properties.
    - Open it and go to the Drivers tab.
    - Choose Update Driver and allow it to automatically Update the Driver. It will search on the internet itself and find the correct driver.

Make sure the red ignition switch on the bike is ON before you click "online"

Also I always "run as administrator" when I start up ECMSpy. Hope this helps!

HI THANKS for info all drivers are up to date no yellow triangle.

ive been pluging usb cable into pc 1st,then into xb9r,then ignition on wate kill switch to run ,then run ecmspy ,i then klick connect/then,klick communications auto detect it pics com6.

another thing is when i put usb lead in it dose not detect new hardwear found ?.

Still, try my updating the driver thing - if it doesn't work, you can easily "roll it back" to the current driver.

right i think im getting somewhere lol run a few more updates set as admin ecmspy now reads open when program opens were as befor it always read closed will try it on xb tomorrow will update post when teasted .thanks for help .

JUST A THOUGHT how meny uk members are there on forum,how often do buell owners meet up .
    there are bike meet's all over the uk on the 25th sept to fight again's new uk law to ban custom bikes .

Yes the windows 7 does that! The Forum is right you can just put it back if needed, Drove me nuts and I went back to XP cause it is better for Diagnostics and ECM Spy Pre 2007 works good on my older Laptop. If it still gives you trouble go to FTDI .com look up the Drivers and download the newer drivers it's Free and it should work, with the Windows 7.
    On the new Hardware found deal you may have to go into Device Manager then right click properties you may have to uninstall then reinstall I know it's a Pain but I had the same problem Last year till I got my older laptop fixed. I have a new laptop with 7 on it and the older works better.??
    Thanks Stevenc150, if you have a extra Trick up your sleeve for windows 7 let me know. Not sure if this will help but hope to get you in the right direction. Along with some practice. Post up .*Jimi

Thanks jimi ive been on this for 3 night's after work im at that stage where ive had to lock the sledg hammer away,some 1 also told me that the nak error also shows that pc has the right com port and is talking to ecm thay sent me a link ,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it happened to me also....NAK ERROR....
    it means that pc and ecm are communicating but you need one more step to use ecmspy.
    i found the mail from Gunter ( ecmspy creator )in which he explains to me how to adjust this problem .
    I'm not a computer genius , all i can do is rewrite to you what Gunter wrote to me.
    Here we go.....if com 3 show you "nak error" , com 3 is the right port . this is the procedure you must follow:
    click on tools and open program preferences ,
    switch off "runtime log only"
    and use " megalog format"
    go back to overview tab.
    start logging by clicking on the blue
    "floppy disk " icon
    start the online mode by clicking the "keys" icon for few seconds
    stop datalogging by clicking the "keys" icon again
    stop data
    logging by clicking the blue "floppy disk" icon again
    you will see a message the log file has been closed.

at this point ecmspy works ....well ...i hope so.
    anyway be patient and i'm sure Gunter(id073897) will tell you on this topic what to do exactly .
    bye Alessio

will give this ago later.

Yes thank you for locking that Hammer away! All Tips even though I've been working on the Buells for about 24 years now, have a different Attidude as so to Speak than the Big Twin Engines. I look at it this way I can always learn something new if I listen closely. Good Luck.*Jimi;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast