Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell XB Buyers Guide

theoctopus and I came up with this guide. Mods, feel free to change or add info.

First, look up the Vin# info using the guide attached. Make sure it matches the description of the bike. A seller that doesn't know what he has is most likely not the type that will know about problems and costs. This may be a good haggling point.

- Make sure the headers are firmly seated against cylinder heads, look for cracks and broken studs. Also make sure the exhaust is firmly connected to header and to bottom of bike. ($200 -header, $150- stock pipe, up to $300 for a broken stud)
    - No play in wheel bearings ($50 per wheel)
    - Belt in good condition with no real nicks or tears ($200)
    - Brakes feel smooth and no pulsation. Pulsing means a new rotor and pads are required. ($200 per brake)
    - Smooth idle (could be a number of things. Fuel pump, injectors, timing, mapping, intake manifold leak)
    - No oil on the rear cylinder/fan, rocker box gasket leaks are common. ($800 to fix)
    - Oil lines leak-free and well seated/attached
    - No frame damage under the pucks or anywhere else(that's a big one, it should have a salvage title and could lower price by up to $1500)
    - Turn front wheel to both stops while running to make sure there are no electrical issues ($100-$200 for new harness)
    - Jump pins on the diag port to collect any codes in the history
    - Ask, is it tuned? and who tuned it? make sure it's reputable tuner. If it's not tuned and has a K&N and aftermarket muffler, this could be bad in the long run.
    - Look for scratches on the swing arm, this shows if it's been down or dropped ($200)

All prices mentioned are cost of parts only and does not include labor.

Ask about the maintenance schedule, has everything been done on time? Fork oil and seals are important at 20k.

Keep in mind that aftermarket parts don't add value. Don't let them tell you they do. They only add value if factory parts are included as well, and value is determined by what you can make off of selling those parts.

Look up KBB or NADA price for the bike in perfect condition and subtract the $ of what you'd have to fix and that should give you the value of the bike.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles

if that is parts only it doesnt cost anywhere near $800 to fix a leaking engine gasket. other than that it seems to be a pretty good list. i might disagree on the tuning portion though, if the person seems to be knowledgeable enough about tuning there is no need to have it tuned by a professional.

now just make it a sticky in both of the for sale sections.

this is helpful for sure.

if that is parts only it doesnt cost anywhere near $800 to fix a leaking engine gasket. other than that it seems to be a pretty good list. i might disagree on the tuning portion though, if the person seems to be knowledgeable enough about tuning there is no need to have it tuned by a professional.
    I'm not sure what cost of parts are. That's not something I want to do myself.

Super Moderator
    I think Dave's point is to make sure that whoever tuned the bike knew what they were doing. There are plenty of people who futz around with ECMSpy and TunerPro, but have no real clue as to how to accomplish their goals. The problems caused by an improper map flash/tune can lay dormant for quite some time until a specific operating condition is reached, at which point they rear their ugly head.

awesome info

here's a few of the best online sites of HD dealers to get OEM parts when looking to save some $$$...up to 20% cheaper in most cases...don't know 'em all, but this is where I get my stuff from with no issues

LSHD1.com
    surdyke.com
    kutterharleydavidson.com
    latusharleydavidson.com
    chicagoharley.com

best parts supplier other than HD dealers and also other than looking across the pond:

ASB

I've figured out a lot of times after hearing the owner had changed the oil frequently and recently - pull the dipstick out and swab it off to find out the truth. Especially on our air-cooled motors & HD transmissions, this is highly important. Nice thread idea BTW.

this one is a hard one..i can't think of a time when i would say yeah lets pull the puck to check the frame.
    the only time is if you're intention is to polish the frame. then yes it's a good idea to check you can pull the pucks sense they are a one time use thing so you would not be out $50 to replace them.(unless you didn't buy the bike then the cool thing would be to kick back the $50)
    - No frame damage under the pucks or anywhere else(that's a big one, it should have a salvage title and could lower price by up to $1500)
    also some times it's hard to tell if there is a dent unless you remove the paint.

very helpful thanx dave xb12R for pointing it out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast