Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 lightning oil in air intake

my bike started popping and backfiring last night coming from work. loss of power, red cylinder light coming on etc... when i removed the k&n filter i noticed oil in the housing. when i removed the black rubber thinc on top of the carb it also had oil on it.there was oil on top of the carb butterfly thingy.i replaced the plugs, no change.i noticed the front cylinder sparkplug wire was melted in one spot showing white through the black wire. waiting to find plug wires locally to see if that was the problem. if so would that have caused all the oil in the airfilter assymbley and so on? any ideas will help thanks

blow-by,do a breather reroute.

breather reroute

thanks for the link i will preform the reroute. and im also glad to see that the oil is not causing my problems with the bike. pretty sure its going to be the plug wires and right now its only running on 1 cylender.

yea you will definitely want to replace the plug wires. you were most likely getting excessive blowby if a cylinder was not firing. combustion increases the cylinder pressure which helps push the rings against the cylinder wall. when you dont have combustion you will push a lot more air and fuel past the rings than normal, this creates more pressure in the crankcase which gets pushed past a reed valve and eventually collects in your intake. if the dipstick smells like gasoline at all i would do an oil change, I would probably do one anyway for piece of mind.

got my plug wires today. the bike runs much steadyier and no backfireing or popping however, the check engin light is on all the time and there is no power at all. i can ride it but feels like a huffy.any ideas on what i can try next?

what plugs did you use some bikes like the ngkdcpr8iex mine didnt ran like ****. put dcpr9iex and it was a completely different bike hopefully its somthing simple like that

ha.... would figure i just went to autozone and asked if they had the plugs for the bike. they said yes ..they were champions. ill look for the ngk's

today i put the ngk plugs in. changed the fuel smelling oil, and completed the breather reroute. bike still has no power and the red light is still on all the time. guess ill go to the local harley shop and have it checked. thanks for all the ideas

Did you clean your intake air temp sensor? Also i think the light flashes and count how many times it will tell you what code its throwing. Not positive where i found that post but it might be in owners manual? Hope you get it figured out before the stealership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast