Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: running straight pipes

hey guys, i literally just joined to add my 2 cents haha. when i was 18 i got my first bike, an 03 XB9S, i love it, I've had it for 4 years now. I've recently been having trouble with the jardine muffler that came on it when i got, the rivets on the end kept rattling loose and every time i re-rivet it, it comes apart again, im currently a full time student at Lincoln tech for diesel so i have no money for a new muffler so i made a straight pipe for it. i made it as long as the jardine muffler with a 45 degree out the side. it had no power when i tried it out. so with some redneck engineering i crimped the end of the pipe with a vice and it works perfectly. sound awesome too!

Here's an old schoolers way of doing it. Paint a straight pipe white install the pipe on the bike run the bike till the paint burns off cut the exhaust where the paint stops burning to run straight pipes.
    No.

If you're running rich, your exhaust is cooler than if you're lean. This will change where the paint stops burning off.

You also notice that Harley has this horrible reputation of being unreliable. Don't you think your method might have something to do with that?

I have a question. I bought a 2009 fire bolt with a jardean exhaust, and a stock ECM. It sure was dead under 3000rpm. It just stumbled and didn't pick up well, you had to eas the throttle though the low rpm. I put a EBR ECM for that pipe in it and it helped a bit. Just bought another 2009 Ulyesses and it has stock exhaust. Great power and torque in the low RPMs, not as cool of sound, but it's not my hot rod of the two. Do they have different cams between the two models? Or is it the variable exhaust valve that buell has that gives you more back pressure at low rpm and opens up more at high revs? My 98 1200xls straight piped, has tons of torque from a 1000 up! I think it's all computer, cams and exaust. A straight pipe would be awesome on the fire bolt, but to much time involved to tune it right, did a lot of reading on it and it's not worth my time anyways. 90ci kit is the way to go!

Cams are the same grind for all xb models. The difference in cams for the 08+ Xb's is they have longer shafts and drive the integrated oil pump on cam cover. Also the stock 12 exhaust does have an exhaust valve to help with low end torque. Whenever you remove it and run an aftermarket pipe the trade off is typically less bottom end for more top end. The only real cure is a tune specifically for your bike. Even the EBR ecm tunes for specific pipes are still pretty generic.

Anyone know anybody around horsham Pennsylvania I can take my 2005 xb12 to for a tuning problems?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456