Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seafoam and an oil change today...

Decided to switch from Harley Synth3 to Mobil 1. Went with a Mobil 1 filter, didn't feel like ordering and waiting for a new filter to get here. (There's a list of filters for XBs on Badweb)

So did my oil change, old engine oil was black (with 800miles, go figure). Added some Seafoam to both the engine, trans, and fuel. (can't recall the amount atm, went by the can)

After a little problem (me leaving the key in the on position while doing the trans and killing my battery) took it out for about 30 miles, and HOLY ****!!

Acceleration is up, less engine noise, more power on the low end, bike returns straight to idle without any pausing or hanging. Overall the bike is running like it did off the showroom floor.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to mist a bit into the velocity stack to finish my engine cleaning. Think this is going to be a new 3k mile ritual.

mcmurphy, we still riding tomorrow?

Sea foam really helps?

I noticed a good difference. Spent the last week reading up on badweb and a bunch of HD forums about it.

Almost everyone suggested running it in your fuel, and was about 50/50 on putting it in the oil.

Originally I meant to just run it in my old oil for a few miles, then drain it all and start from scratch.

But started draining it before I remembered, so said hell with it and put it in once I was finished.

It's supposed to help deal with the downsides of ethanol fuel pretty well, and helps break up the gunk that builds up. Took care of most of my lifter tick. :D

Sea foam really helps?
    It's funny because it's one of the only additives that REAL car guys recommend. I've never used it in a bike, but I the one time I used it in a car, it did miraculous things. Because of that, I highly recommend it.

so with 500 ish miles on my xb12, should i use it?

i had a panhead a few years back. the guy i got it from had owned it for years, and rebuilt it so many times he could do it in his sleep. he started using seafoam, and he said the difference in the internals of the engine before he used it and after he started using it were night and day. he highly recommended using seafoam.
    a little splash in every tank of fuel.

had a panhead
    ...so it naturally follows....
    rebuilt it so many times
    :D

THE POINT is that seafoam does make a big difference in keeping the internal engine clean.

say what you want about them, but without the panhead, none of the buells would have ever been made.

and if you want to know the honest truth, buells remind me of the panhead more than anything else i have seen....and maybe that is part of the draw for me. the only other bike i have had to pay more attention to than my buell was my panhead.

so....do you have anything positive to add to this, or can i just expect pointless jabs?

I wouldn't with every tank just because it'd get expensive fast, but if it's sitting for more than a few days or ever 3-4 tanks of fuel.

Though during break-in I think it'd help since thats the roughest period for the engine. I'd say put it in the oil a few days before your next oil change, or after you drain the oil next time, put a bottle of it in the swingarm and let it idle for a min, then drain and finish your oil change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast