Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs Up for Speeding!

Hey gents,

I was riding home from the autoparts store for a few things, and noticed a marked Tampa PD patrol car parked behind a 45mph sign. Naturally, I looked at my speedo-- 52! I am just about ready to give away my next paycheck for this ticket-- my very first ever. I look into the patrol car and he's lighting me up with the radar gun. For a split second, while I am riding by, he looks at his radar gun, looks at me, AND GIVES ME A THUMBS UP! I was wondering what the heck just happened. Just my lucky day, I suppose!

Lmao that's awesome. I have to say I never get a thumbs up more like nice bike after I get pulled over.

more like nice bike after I get pulled over.
    LOL

He was surprised you were only going 7 over. In my experience most cops won't bother you until you are at least 8 over and locally I have been told that it will be a warning until more than 12 over, or multiple warnings. That is what pisses me off so much with people doing 30 in 35 zones tying up the roads in my two lane suburban hell. You can do 40 all day and a cop won't care but god help you if you pass a slow mover in the turning lane. Son's of bitches.

You can do 40 all day and a cop won't care but god help you if you pass a slow mover in the turning lane. Son's of bitches.
    I know! And it's not illegal to go under the speed limit unless they are 25 mph under it! That means if the speed limit is 35, and you're going 11, you're good to go.

When I run radar I wont waste my time with somone ONLY going 7 over unless you are in a school zone or housing area. Anything over ten is much more fun!! What I hate is getting behind people and they slow down under the speed limit and start watching me in there rear view!!!!!

The most likely reason is that factory speedo error is 5%+. You thought you were doing 52 but I betcha he clocked you at 47-48mph max. A little factory programed speedo error never hurt anyone!

...until they were aware of it.

Always pays to keep your eyes open. I regularly hit 80-85 on the way to/from work. So far I rarely see any cops, but when I do I usually make a point of being behind another vehicle when I pass him.

Just waiting for the day I get caught passing 2 miles of standing traffic on the right shoulder. Do that every morning.

waiting for the day I get caught passing 2 miles of standing traffic on the right shoulder
    What does a ticket for that look like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast