Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start problem

I know this topic has been covered as I have searched through the forums but I never did find a definitive answer.

Sometimes my bike starts up like a bike should start. Most times when it starts, I press the start switch and get the normal start noise but it immediately stops, pauses for about 2sec, then starts.

I am thinking it's the battery, I just ordered a volt meter to check it and I keep it on the battery tender 24/7. A main concern I have is that when I got home the other night and I cut power, turned the key to the initial "on" position before "off", the lights turned off. Usually they are on. I am afraid I'm going to lose power while riding.

So far no other symptoms. I hope it's the battery so I can just get a new one, but if it's not the battery, what could it be?

Mine does the same thing, I think it's just a "buell" thing.

When you should worry is when it doesnt start.

basically it struggles to turn the engine over?
    I think that is a V-twin thing

I think that is a V-twin thing
    Word, I've noticed after I ride and when I turn my bike off, if the fan goes on, the bike will do that "stalled" start, but if the fan doesn't go on, it starts without hesitation.

But again, I could be tripping. I just know it's normal.

Yes it is Usually a V Twin Engine Harley Thing. Just Slow charge the Battery and take it and have it load tested. The Engine sometimes when shut off stops and the Compression is pretty good, for the Starter is just a Chrysler Mini Van Starter with a few Changes. If it doesn't start perfect every time OR kinda Grunts a little then starts you are usually fine. I know my Rc 51 Starts so smoothly and then the V Twin does its' thing and if I could I would retool the Buell Starters for more torque but the Battery wouldn't last long. Would have to do too much expense wise to do that. So here we are. It just really depends on where the Engine stops pistons wise and other factors. Sometimes it will start right up and sometimes she will grunt. *Jimi

Thanks for the information. Very useful!

the old 1000cc sportster ihad... i swear u could smoke a cigarette(if i smoked) during the stall in the crank over sometimes it was funny. (i even had a big bore gel battery in it)

Mine did what some of us call the Buell thing today,I think it has a bit to do with the weather getting cooler,I will be putting my trickle charger on it from now on.:)

Old topic, but... I forgot to put the trickle charge on the battery for a few days, maybe a week. Started the bike and got the click click click of a dead battery. But then the bike started! Rode it around for a few miles and noticed the clock/trip meter reset. So I brought it back home. Put the battery on the trickle charger.

Used the multimeter a day later and it indicated 13.3V. Bike started fine. Made multiple stops and had to start the bike multiple times. Slow to start as usual. Checked the voltage on the battery after the ride and it was 13.3V..

Is it just a bad battery? Thinking about doing a load test, hoping the autozone can do it for me.

I know I had a "bikemaster" battery in my bike and the bike ate that battery up, then I got the OEM HD battery and I have YET to have a problem (knock on wood)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast