Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Painting

Wow, Buelly, I really like it! Metallic Avocado?

I could see how its a 'polarizing' color to someones elses pallet, but that's another great Buellizm! Super easy to change if you feel like it

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    That's Awesome!

I can vouch for your painting skills, all the paint on that XB12Ss I got from you is still in great shape. Tons of bug splatter and rocks have hit it over the last riding season or two and it always looks brand new after a good wash.

I'm actually thinking about doing a really cheap paint job on the old 79 Corvette in my garage. The stock paint is pretty cracked and scratched, so I figured I can't make it worse. I was thinking about making one half of my garage a cheap "paint booth" with some plastic tarps, sanding the car down, and then using a cheap harbor freight spray gun and compressor and some decent quality auto paint to paint it a dark matte grey or something similar. Am I crazy or is that pretty doable?
    Absolutely doable! Do some smaller practice jobs before you take on your whole car! And do your car in pieces! Painting an entire car at once is the paint equivalent of running a marathon. (Not for beginners, or the faint of heart). Happy to offer any help i can.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    3 stage paint? Please explain.

(I only know enough about automotive paint to be dangerous- I'm just an amateur at best).

Looks awesome!
    3 stage means simply 2 basecoat layers then clear coat. As opposed to the typical base, clear job. This color is a hi-viz yellow solid formula of my own making, then a couple coats of crystal gold pearl, then clear.

Same concept as the pearl whites you see on caddis and lincolns....

Other tri- coats or 3 stage paints are a metallic base and then a semi transparent mid coat or "candy"then clear.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Absolutely doable! Do some smaller practice jobs before you take on your whole car! And do your car in pieces! Painting an entire car at once is the paint equivalent of running a marathon. (Not for beginners, or the faint of heart). Happy to offer any help i can.
    Awesome, thanks for the tip! I didn't really think of doing it piece by piece, but that's a great plan!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213