Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting

Buelly, it definitely looks like you do some great work! I am thinking about taking my virgin trek into paint this winter, and I'm very apprehensive, but doing some reading, research, and thinking as to what I want to do. Maybe you can offer some advice though. I'm looking to shoot House of Kolor. Have you had any experience with their paint? How hard is it to lay down compared to PPG, BASF, DuPont(I know HOK is made by them), or Martin Senour? I'm looking forward to it, but I want to make sure I haven't bitten off too much. Thank you in advance!

project bike will be basecoated with this color

my red will change to this

Nice Paint Job!

Thanks Christian. About ur ?... House of Kolor is quality paint as r the other three manufacturers u listed. Ne manufacturer has different clears and bases and sealer and primer surfacers within their own line in varying price quality and usability. Ne paint u buy is gonna spray different than the next so it will take practice. HOK has one major benefit and thats custom color options. Beyond that its mostly a well advertised system(thats why all the "cool" painters use it). I have heard from painters that i know well that have done custom paint for 10-15yrs that while they like their colors their clears r iffy in ease of use and durability. Still good paint though. Ive never sprayed it. I have sprayed PPG, DuPont, and BASF diamont and Glasurit. Which all have their own attributes.

Most important even more than the paint u choose is:
    Your Prep work
    Your Facility to paint in
    Your Spray Equipment (gun, compressor, and air purification system)
    And Your Patience (paint can get frustrating)

Oh and always wear a good respirator this stuffs not good for u;)

Just let me know what u need to now about every step from decal removal to sanding cleaning priming preping painting colorsanding and so on.

Wish I had a video camera and some extra parts i could do a lil DIY vid.

See and I am the opposite!! I have the parts and video camera just no ability to do a DIY vid!!!

Thanks a mil, Buelly! I know I have heard the term before, but I forget what colorsanding is. Could you explain it? I know I have a lot to learn, and I am a novice. The biggest thing I will have to work on is the patience.

Right now I am wetsanding with 800-1000 grit, but I wonder with all of the inaccessible parts of the bike, would it be better to have it bead-blasted? I figure it is easier to ask questions now than have a crap paint job with runs and orange-peel.

well colorsanding is fine sanding your top coat (clear coat or final color coat if its single stage) with 1500 or finer genrally. down to a flat smooth finish. When i colorsand and want the paint to be show quality perfect i start with a soft block and 1500 (i use meguirs UNI-Grit paper) i wetsand until ne orange peel or dirt nibs or no longer visible, then 2000 by hand, the 3000 tri-zact pads (3M) with a DA or by hand depending on the size of the panel. Then Buff with trizact u can even buff by hand if u cant afford a buffer. Remember only take as much paint off has u have to to get a smooth finish u need 2mils (thousandth of an inch) of clear to protect the base and it doesnt take long to cut a mil off.
    Always allow ur wet paper to soak 15-30 mins or until the backing is saturated b4 sanding it makes it cut more unformly. Thats the basics of Colorsanding.

What parts r u painting christian u might want 2 use a lil more corse paper. And in hard to reach places u can use 3m scotch brite pads to sand. RED=400-600 grit Grey=800-1500 grit. Ne where u want paint to stick the panel must be scuffed all shine removed from every knook and cranny edges everything.

Maybe u could post some pics as u go so i can c what ur working with.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast