Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting

1000 is awfully coarse to try to buff. when i color sand and buff paint i go all the way to 3000 "tri-zact" i would say u should work ur way down to 2500 jumpin in 500 grit incriments.

Hey Buelly, What do you think about wet sanding with 12/1500 and then 3000 with a 3" Air sander? I used 1500 when I painted the plastics but did it all by hand and it sucked. I bought a little 3" air buffer/sander. It has hook and loop adapters. 2 foam pads and a VERY soft wool/cotton pad I was gonna use for the compound/wax stages, But I bought the 3k grit pads to put on for mby the wet sanding process..I figured if I went slow and easy it would be safe, but thought i'd asd.

Wow 3000, I didn't know it went that fine. Thats like stroking the plastics with satin lol. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

What do you think about wet sanding with 12/1500 and then 3000 with a 3" Air sander?
    that will work great. I often cut panels down with 1500 3m finishing paper with my 6" DA (fine stroke DA) and then go right to 3000(TRIZACT). U've gotta be pretty thurough with the 3000 to smooth out all the 1500, but the results are good and it goes quite quickly.
    if ur sander is a Dual Action Orbital sander it wont buff very fast. If u can lock it to make single action for buffing it will work a little faster. Or if u can get ahold of a variable speed air grinder or die grinder and adapt ur pads to it and run those @ about 1200-1400 rpm for buffing.

I'm just throwin this out there. Would ne one be willing to send me various colored samples of plastics so i could color match them.

I wont be able to make formulas that will cross reference into paint lines other than BASF ones, but if u can find a paint jobber that carries Diamont basecoast or UNO single-stage in ur area u'd be able to take the formulas i make and have them mix them.

I'd like to make formulas for thrust blue, the sunset orange/red that was on the 06-07lightnings, racing red that was on the firebolts(i think that was racing red), the bright yellow (nobody is going to want the yellow that was on the uly's), and possibly the 1125 red (if thats different from the red on the firebolts).

I painted my EBR race belly pan for my firebolt with krylon... Patriotic Blue... Super close match. Took some time with collor sanding and hand rubing it to a glass finish. Very happy with the results.:)

This is for you CrazyTexan: heres my restored tractor Sprinkler!!

Found the Thread again! Thats awesome man! When I get mine all painted up we should drink beer and race them!

public on topic question. Going from rough to strip plastics and get it leveled out, then working up finer, At what grit would you stop at and leave for Primer to fill in the rest? Just curious, I was using 320, and seemed a little coarse for the primer to fill, until i got a few coats on it, But there was still little rough patches i'll have to get out once its all dry.

But there was still little rough patches i'll have to get out once its all dry.
    yeah, with aerosol primers (they dont fill very well) ull need to let it dry, hit it with 4-600 and shoot a couple more coats of primer. 320 is kinda ruff 4 raw plastic but it can b filled and then u know for sure u have a good bite.

Thats awesome man! When I get mine all painted up we should drink beer and race them!
    i think i could down a case of beer b4 we finished that race. i actually sold that one, but maybe ill get another and re-gear it 4 racing:p

aerosol primers eh? I'll just get a jug of non aerosol primer and shoot it on through the gun.

i think i could down a case of beer b4 we finished that race. i actually sold that one, but maybe ill get another and re-gear it 4 racing
    Yep, Thats the idea, Sittin out relaxi drinkin beer while the tractor sprinklers do their thing. 1/64 of a wheel turn per 5 minutes.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast