Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dual headlight mod (both lights ON highbeam)

Done this a couple of weeks ago, how easy. Great result.

When I picked up my XB back in July, this mod was already done. The sad part is I thought it was always suppose to be like this.

Did this mod initially noticing the 4 pin connector was turning brown at the black wire which I assumed is ground. Did the mod anyways to see how well it worked and I really liked the mod. Went to check why the connector was toasting and it actually melted together after the mod requiring the connector to be cut out. Found that all 3 grounds from the headlight assembly were soldered and taped into one 14-16 awg wire that went into the connector socket, this was the cause of the connector toasting before and melting after the mod. Ran 4 separate grounds on ring terminals and bolted them to the cross brace behind fly screen using the mounting hole for the original connector. Then used a U-Haul flat 4 connector that lays perfectly in the cross brace and soldered up the White, Brown(used for red), and Yellow wires according to the mod. I must say this has greatly improved the performance of the lights and the bike electrically overall. It took less than 2 hours to fix this and about $20 for materials I did not already have. To diagnose and create the fix took an additional 3 hours so overall I spent a lot of time on this but think it is one of the best mods I have done on my 09 Uly!
    Last edited by Tbone; 12-18-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Yeah some of these bikes need to be gone through, you never know what you'll find, I'm happy I bought two totally stock bikes, less headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Yeah some of these bikes need to be gone through, you never know what you'll find, I'm happy I bought two totally stock bikes, less headaches.
    My Uly is stock and I am the 2nd owner and pretty sure the PO has not modified this. I hate to think the headlight harness comes stock from the factory this way, but it did on my Uly. Just look at the black wires coming out of the headlights and you will see a three legged spider dead center at the back of the Headlight assembly. I could see corroded copper exposed under electrical tape loosely wrapped around the solder joint.
    Last edited by Tbone; 12-18-2017 at 08:36 PM.

ive also done this mod a little fiddlier then it looks be patient

Reviving this thread, it works great and so easy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123