Thread: Electrical Problems with XB9S - possibly kickstand switch

Hi everyone. I have been having some electrical problems with my 2003 XB9S.

I was riding it and it started cutting out electrically. I would lose power to the whole bike (including instrument cluster and lights) and the motor would die as I was riding it.

After doing some diagnostics I have checked the battery and the main ground connections. Battery is new and connections appear to be good.

I pulled off almost every connector one at a time to see were the issue was.

After some wire jiggling the bike managed to at least get some power when I turned the key (previously there was nothing when I turned the key)

Now there is a weird buzzing noise coming from the fuse block. When I attach the left bar controls (lights, horn, turn signals) the system weakens but doesn't die.

Now for the weird part. I started messing with the kickstand and when I put it up and down it is starting to affect the bike. Down it wont do anything. No lights and doesn't want to work. When its up I hear the engine prime and the check engine light comes on then shuts off 3 sec later.

I have never had to have the kickstand up on the bike in order to start it or have it function properly. Even when the stand is up I hear the clicking and buzzing from the fuse block. It starts sounding normal then the sounds gets louder and more rapid with each second that passes.

Im kinda stumped here people. Any suggestions would be great.

Now there is a weird buzzing noise coming from the fuse block.
    You've got connections arching in there, you need to address this ASAP. That buzzing is electricity jumping from one point to another and can lead to a fire. Unhook your battery negative and tear into that fuse block.

Try eliminating the kickstand switch. I had a problem with my 03' xb9s too. Switch was acting up while riding and the bike would shut down.
    I unplugged the switch and ran a jumper from one terminal to the other. Taped it up tight and went for a ride. Problem was gone, so i knew it was the switch. Then i ran a more permanent jumper and completely elminated the switch altogether.
    Hope this helps. If i had pics of the jumped switch i'd post em'.. maybe someone else has a pic? Chris

IT sounds like the 3 grey boxes inside the fuse box. Im not sure what they are called. I looked and the connections seem to be secure to those areas. Would the kickstand shorting cause the block to arc?

Those are Relays. May be as simple as replacing them. Either way, whenever it's buzzing, it's arching so be aware. It's fairly common for relays to stick, (sounds as if yours is stuck in the halfway point between poles inside the relay). Either way replace it, they're fairly inexpensive, and you're prob good to go.

You could pull them one at a time while it's buzzing to see which is the culprit or better yet, just replace all 3.

Ok so I checked the voltage regulator plug and one of the pins was loose and not making a connection (Probably the ground pin). I fixed this and didn't seem to have the same kind of power fluctuations I was experiencing. Also when the lighting circuits were plugged back in there was no weird power draw.

But Im still getting some kind of short in the ignition circuit. I get the same weird buzzing/power loss when I have the kill switch to "on".

Any suggestions for common shorts in the ignition circuit would be appreciated.

Anybody at all?

I just checked the kill switch. Its fine. I cleaned it up a little bit for good measure.

So the problem is somewhere in the ignition circuit and its not the killswitch.

Still digging ...