Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 harley or buell xb..?

I'm having trouble making my desicion.. I was going to buy a 2012 883 iron for $8000 of the dealership but I don't think that's a good idea considering I'm 19 and making minimum wage... I want a completely stock buell xb12s with around 5000 miles that'd be amazing to find,
    Unfortunately in my area that's nearly impossible. It seems everyone is holding onto their buells and I don't blame them.

lotsa Buells for sale, keep looking ;)
    especially if your willing to travel to get one...

as for purchasing a H-D product, well your on a Buell forum where most have a dislike for anything H-D (never been a fan of them myself) so expect a big ol on that idea...
    keep looking is all I can say, you'll find a Buell thats meant for you
    :)

There's a world of difference from a HD to a buell. The Buell has more power of course, but critically it also goes around corners and has reasonable egronomics. Hold out, you'll find a nice XB soon. They aren't that hard to find. Worth getting one even if you have to travel a bit. I bought a one-way plane ticket to bring my last one home :D

Where are you located? I would advise against a 2012 Iron. A. You will want more power after about a week. B. You can find something that's a few years older, for half the price.

If you were willing to travel, I bet you could find a nice Buell to buy. They are easier to find than you think.

1. buy the buell, great bang-for buck performance

2. if you're going to buy a cruiser PLEASE don't buy an HD. seriously.

-2 months ago my dad bought a '96 yamaha royal star 1300 for $2,200. all it needed was brakes and tires. i wouldn't recomend this as a first bike but, the point is, there are great deals out there.

-1 month ago a buddy of mine bought an all black 2005 yamaha v-star 1100, *like new*, 3k miles, for $3500.

IMHO if you buy a harley, you're throwing money (lots of it) out the window, all for a name. There are better bikes out there for less money, you just don't get waves from crusty old harley guys :D

p.s. Don't finance toys. especially when you're 19.

Okay... I'm back on my mission to find a buell..
    Thanks guys I don't know what got into me. I took a trip down to the local Harley dealership looking for preowned buells, none were there but I saw the iron 883 in black denim it looks so nice and like a classic bike
    But I agree I'll need more power within a short amount of time. I ride a 250 Yamaha virago so I know what's its like to lack power :( hahaha
    Either way I'll have to take out a loan to purchase a bike unless I want to save all my
    Money for like a year and a half.. I think I need a better paying job.
    But I will get a buell.. Eventually
    I'm fine with traveling within like 100-150 miles. I've only searched the local Craigslist. Maybe I need to open it up a little and look in different counties further away.
    Thanks for keeping me away from H-D
    It was just too tempting!

searchtempest.com

to search craigslists within a certain distance to your zip code.

I found my xb12s there

Wow thanks man! That should help me out a lot.

searchtempest.com
    +100.

That's where its at!

Sportsters are a good looking bike to be sure but by the time you make then a decent performing bike (not great, just decent) you'll sink another $2-3G into one on top of the already ridiculous price. To be completely honest, they are worth about 50-60% of MSRP as they come off of the showroom if you look at only their performance as a motorcycle.

The suspension on them is utter garbage, the brakes are made of wood (it seems that way anyway), they have barely adequate HP in 883 form (1200's are decent), and they drag hard parts (dangerous) at the mere thought of going around a corner. As a piece of art or the start of an awesome project they are great but as a functional motorcycle they fail miserably.

I had a Sportster before my Buell, BTW. What an eye opener THAT was.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast