Thread: Pre-08 Bikes New Exhaust = New Tune?

Hey guys, I know on carb bikes, in order to make sure the bike runs properly for the new exhaust, you need to re-jet, but for the pre-08 Buells, even though we don't have the upgraded ECM's to auto-learn, if I were to get something like the Hawk Muffler, is a tune needed? Or will it just run a bit off without it? I'm trying to avoid the Race ECM and tanking my MPG.

its possible to flash the race map to the ecm for an older buell and its pretty easy. all the steps can be found in the do it yourself section. the bike is going to run lean as hell....not so good. consider logging some rides and flashing those maps for a better ride....also max at the tunivercity can help you....bottom right of this page.

Buell Forum / Buells for Sale / Buell Parts for Sale / EBR ECM for 2004 - 2007 XB12

You Might want to really do some data log rides. Before you change that and go from there. But if you just Bolt on an Muffler that has been reworked from Stock and SAY maybe an Air Filter then you can ride the bike. However the Engine will still feed the fuel that is set for the Exhaust that was on the Bike previously.
    You would need to Individually Tune the Engines ECM to that Modification. You Will get Decell Popping ALL THE TIME with out an Retuning of the ECM! If that does not bother you then you can ride the Bike that way. It hasn't hurt My Own Bike XB12R-08 and many others as well.
    If I run the EBR ECM instead of the Stock ECM on my Street Bike it Barely pops at all. This is because the EBR shop turns off the Learning on Decelleration on some model Buells. You may need to put A [Paper Filter] the Stock one will do, so the Bike will not run too lean due to an Open Exhaust.
    These Bikes due to State(Calif.) EPA regulations already run Lean. The Big V-Twins do also if a Change is made. I don't know of any Mods you may have done to the Air Box so the Paper Filter will help a Little. As you get used to your Buell depending on year of Bike the Retuning of your ECM will appeal to you in time.
    If thats not your thing then Classes with the Tuniversity for learning the best way for your Bikes Engine, or EBRs ECM will bolt right on. REMEMBER Erik Buells ECM- it SAYs RACE ECM on it! it will not work perfectly on the Street like some think it will. IT will Idle differently [High] on Start up Every time it's Started. Then sometimes a little low once warmed up.You may Even have to bump lightly the Throttle on Eriks ECM at a Stop light here and There if it Idles too Low.
    It works pretty good for a Bolt on and Reset TPS off you go.Learn your Bike and it will Ride Often.*Jimi

Inactive
    i'm on my 3rd buell. have done breather re-route and hawk performance muffler on all 3, NO other motor mods...stock paper filter. they all run exceptionally well, give great MPG if ridden sensibly, and have had no decel pop or lean fuel delivery issues with any of them in over combined 10,000 miles. even the NGK iridium plugs look spot on. i'm sure the ecm mod is a wonderful thing to do but in all honesty, i don't have a laptop to do it, have had no problems whatsoever with my mild mods, and bikes run great. to each his own.

if I were to get something like the Hawk Muffler, is a tune needed?
    no but the proper tune is always best