, loving, small, completely, non-stop, traded, riding, weeks, xb12scg, fixed, today, tight, filter, opened, primary, dry-gasketed, surprise, people, vehicles, trust" /> Surprise during first oil change

Thread: Surprise during first oil change

So I traded in my FZ6 for an XB12Scg a couple weeks ago. I've been riding it almost non-stop (had a couple really cold days I took the truck to work) and have been loving it. It hasn't been completely without problems, but they were small and I have since fixed them.

Today I changed the oil; I don't trust people selling vehicles that the maintenance has been done prior to them selling it. The swingarm oil was normal, wasn't new oil but wasn't horrible. No shavings on the magnet. Somebody dry-gasketed the filter and put it on way too tight, that was fun.

Anyway when I went to change the primary oil, I opened up the fill port, took out the plug, and the fluid came out looking like toothpaste! It had the consistency of oil, but was cream-colored, with a hint of brown. There were a couple shavings on the magnet but nothing abnormal for a transmission.

The bike had no problems shifting prior to me draining it. Should I just flush out as much of the toothpaste as I can with the extra 1/2 Qt of 20W50 before filling it and hope for the best? What would cause this? The only thing I have heard about is problems with GL5 oils eating the yellow metals, but my charging system works fine.

Super Moderator
    It's an emulsion of oil and water. It's a pretty common problem. I believe it usually stems from water travelling down the clutch cable and into the engine case. Easy enough to adjust things to avoid that in the future. For now, a simple oil change is all you need. Nothing to be worried about.

Thanks, that is good to hear. With only a few weeks of warm weather left I am shooting for as little downtime as possible, and might be making a road trip later this week so I would rather not have any problems along the way.

Putting some extra lube in the clutch cable would keep this from happening again. But like what octo said, it's not a big deal at all and is pretty common.

So I guess there is an o-ring where the cable meets the cover....

Water in the oil check your tyranny vent for a melt

Ah, this must be the o-ring you mean: o-ring

I will have to check to see how mine is, or if it is there at all.

I did notice when I first took my airbox off that the vent line has a crack in it right where it goes on the nipple, I will be replacing that this week.

also watch the inspection cover.

when i did my first 500 miles oil change, the drain plugs magnet on both my primary and swingarm were full of metal shaving. the oil were dark dark black with sparkling metals all over it.

Inactive
    loosen up clutch cable barrel after sliding up rubber boot. no need to go inside the primary for readjust. loosen barrel, remove cable from lever, lube really well, reinstall and readjust. take a small black wire tie and snug up the rubber barrel protector boot at top. will keep water from running down cable into primary which can happen. i would also suspect that prior to selling, the prior owner might have pressure washed the **** out of your bike and got water up in the trans/primary vent hose which worked its way down into that area, mixed with the lube, and emulsified. it's common. NEVER pressure wash a bike.