, initially, started, purchased, racer, buell, basis, collectible, assist, differs, unique, build, street" /> '96 Factory race bike - need info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '96 Factory race bike - need info

I just purchased a '96 Buell factory racer. VIN # has "race use only 0011" on it.
    I initially started looking at this as the basis for a unique 'build' but I wonder if that's wise since this could be a collectible.
    If anyone can assist with info on the bike and how it differs from the street version, or where to find this info, it would be appreciated.
    I haven't received the bike but the owner says he's including the dyno slip where it showed 89 HP at the rear wheel and 161 mph with the gearing on the bike. Says it's WAY more powerful than my '09 Lightning.

Says it's WAY more powerful than my '09 Lightning.
    not with 89 at the tire

The torque figure on the dyno test sounded so excessive I didn't post it as I think it might be a typo (I'll find out when I see it), but it's not why I bought it anyway.
    The guy who sold it bought a collection of vintage and other bikes. Said this was raced by an HD dealership in a class where bikes were limited to 90 hp.
    Any ideas where I can get info on this bike?

what is it? an S1,S2,thunderbolt,lightning? how about a pic.

The torque figure on the dyno test sounded so excessive I didn't post it as I think it might be a typo
    for reference hp= torque(ft-lb)* RPM /5252

so assuming that 89 hp was at 6800 RPM the torque would be ~69 ft-lbs. Obviously this isnt accurate because im assuming an rpm. Also peak power and peak torque dont occur at the same spot but its a general frame of reference anyway.

fwiw i would not molest a true race bike. they are pretty rare as far as i know.

did he give you torque and hp numbers with the corresponding rpm?

You could always ask Erik Buell himself through Facebook or maybe through EBR. I bet he'd get you an answer!

Congratulations on the purchase. I watched it sell.

I have a similar '96 Lightning race bike with "race use only 0012" frame. Mine was raced by Hansen H-D and ridden by Shawn Conrad. From what I can see, our bikes seem to have been prepped by different people.

I agree that these bikes are pieces of Buell history, and being fairly complete, shouldn't be dismantled, but preserved and enjoyed.

The seller did give you some good history on the bike. You should google what you do know about it. I found nearly all of the race results online from my bike's '97 & '98 seasons.

that is one bad ass looking bike.

I am supposed to get the dyno sheet with the bike. The torque specs he listed aren't possible - has to have been a typo.

Your bike is SHARP! Do you race it?

I'll add a photo later.

Here's the bike as shown on Ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast