Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell running lean

Dan50.....it leaks oil cause its a Harley...live with it. But that Ping will only get worse until you blow the head gasket like me.....suggest you don't ride it anymore till someone offers a true fix.
    All i read about on these forums is try this and that but no one lists the real reason that so many of these engines Ping. We even retarded the Ignition 10 degrees and it still pinged, so forget all the talk about timing and TPI etc. They run lean , but why and why after 20,000 Klms.??? What is failing ????
    Does anyone really know, or just guessing???
    Surely someone has found the fix .........

i just bought a 2004 Buell Firebolt XB1200R. It runs great as far as i know, but it does this POP through the air box. it only happens when the bike is at tis idle speed and you twist the throttle pretty hard. Does anyone know what this is cuased by? i thought it was the spark plugs? any suggestions would be great!

Dan50: Are you sure the oil you are finding is from the engine? Are you losing oil? Just asking because I read another post about someone blowing their rear shock and they had oil everywhere, don't know how much. I've never broken into a shock before. Maybe?

I have just bought a XB12Scg - mine pops in the air intake especially when cold - dealer tells me it's normal? I've changed the dummy tank for one off a Firebolt 'coz I didn't like the see thru cherry bomb one - could this be the problem!

That would have nothing to do with that at all. What your dealer is telling you is true. I owned one and I work at a dealer, every Buell I have ridden does that from time to time.

One question for all of you who are having these issues, are your bikes stock or have you gone the mods, mods, more mods route? Just asking for my own knowledge. I'm pretty much a "ain't broke don't F*** with it" kinda guy, and I was wondering if these problems might be brought on by the change in ecm's and pipes.

Slade, what did you do with the cherry bomb air intake cover. I thought about trying one on my bike to get a different look... gimmie a reply on my email if you don't mind cause I check it often. www.bayoubuell@yahoo.com

mezap & all:

Firstly, my oil leak turned out to be a result of a hairline crack approx. 3" long down through the middle of a weld in the lower center of the swingarm (oilpan on a Buell)...which thankfully was a warrenty replacement, and mine was not the first swingarm to crack at the underside weld seam, as I've been told. The weld crack was actually down through the center of the weld - nearly a straight line crack & not something I've seen before.

My personal opinion with this is that the oilpan / swingarm idea is good, but the swingarm assembly should be made as a one-piece unit if at all possible, which would solve this issue.

Secondly, I received my XB12X (totally stock bike) back from the dealer here in PA yesterday - I talked at length with the lead mechanic at the dealership about the horrible ping from the engine. Turns out a new set of plugs solved the problem 100 percent - which has me wondering if the original plugs Buell put in the bike were in fact good plugs, because the bike starts & idles a hell of a lot smoother now, plus the ping is gone.

I am interested in seeing what, if any changes will be made in '08 to the XB12X.

did they install a new type of plug or same type just new ones ?

Same exact type as originals - just new plugs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast