Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 XB12SCG on Steriods: 280mm, Twin Rotors, Projectors

Well, I decided it's time to let you guys in on my latest build. I picked up a 2010 XB12SCG bone stock w/850 miles on it in August. I rode it through the riding season and tore it down last month for this build.

I commuted on a 04 XB12S a few years back and had more fun on that bike than any of the crotch rockets i've owned (99' Busa, TLR, R1, R1 turbo). My last build was an 05 R1 Raven that I transformed into a 430rwhp street bike with a 240 tire as you can see below.

I came to the conclusion that I wanted a sport cruiser: something with good handling/brakes/suspension/power to weight ratio, pushrod v-twin, big rear tire, but that would also be comfortable riding cross country with. I considered many other bikes (v-rod, warrior, vmax, Duc streetfighter, 1125cr, MT109, nightster)but none had everything I wanted.

I decided to start with my favorite bike and build from there. I'll let the pics do the talking. I'll start with the xb12scg stock pic and my R1. [img]null[/img]

First was to add a monster rear tire. The 240 on my R1 did not take anything away from handling. I live in the turns and wouldn't do this if it did.

The 240 kit for the buell had been done over and over and is avaiable off the shelf so in true fashion I decided to build something that hadn't been done...a 280 in a stock arm with facory wheelbase. I love the short fat look. :D

After researching and mesuring, I found that the 1st gen XB swingarms had much more room for a bigger tire than the later arms so I got an 04 arm and began.

I bought a second set of wheels to go under the knife. Sent the rear to kosman specialties in CA to have the rear widened from 5.5 to 10.5. Sent the front to a guy in NY to have rotor bosses CNC'd and welded onto the opposite side of the front rim.

Awesome! But did you forget some pics?

EDIT: nvm they are coming.

I wanted to keep with the blacked out theme of the 2010 scg and sent the new rims, Knights 2" drop pegs and shifters, rear pegs, and levers out to powercoat for the flat black treatment. They came out very nice!

With the 280 being larger in diameter than the stocker, I also wanted a fat front tire that would equalize the height as well as fill up the space between the forks and fender. After researching it, I found that a 150 front would be the max w/o aftermarket triple trees.

I decided I wanted to keep the quick disconnect type fitting on the newer swing arms. I bought a spare swingarm off an 09xb and cut the bungs out of it to weld onto the gen 1 arm. I also realized the 280 on a 10.5 would require more modification than originally anticipated: I would have to manually widen the swingarm on the drive side and clearance it on the left side.

Here's the arm after welding. I ground down the welds and buffed them out before painting.

Since the buell has such a small oil capacity, I decided to close in the left side of the swingarm to expand the oil tank. This brought total capacity to nearly 4qts.

I went with the frame touch up paint from ASB but it was very glossy after drying and I had to come up with my own mixture of 3 different paints to achieve the factory color as you see in the pics.

Here's the complete rear end off the 2010 next to my complete custom rear end. Going from a 180 to a 280 is a step in the right direction :D

Here is the 150 front tire, there is less than 5mm clearance to the forks, perfect!

Here's the 280 rear on the bike during first fitment. Things are starting to look good.

I had to source a lengthened rear axle, rear hub spacer, rear sprocket, and offset front sprocket to ensure proper alignment; numerous meticulous measurements were required. lol

I also hate how the XBs are turning 4K+ rpms on the highway, you guys know what I mean. It seems they need a 6th gear. I decided to "add and overdrive" by going down 5 teeth in the rear. Of course this can only be done with a chain conversion which looks much better anyhow. Now 80mph is at 3100 which is very nice! You can also notice that I added a D&D. I had extra tabs welded on to support foldable highway pegs. I spend 99% of the time with my feet on these, they provide the most comfortable seating position ever!

In addressing the puny stock handlebars that are a bit too low for my taste, I ordered a set of Diesel Moto Big bar conversion clamp and a set of Tusk ATV bars. Now my seating position is perfect: neutral spine, legs out in front, arms bent, and 5 degree forward lean.

I have always felt the S models look buggish and need more "body" on the front end. I considered many options before deciding on a Duc 1198 front end. To keep things tight and muscular in true buell fashion, I decided to trim it down as much as possible and affix it to the triple trees vs the frame like the R's.

I meticulously cut down a brand new 1198 front fairing to nearly 60% of it's original size then buffed the edges to regain the factory finish.

I then proceeded to convert the 1198 headlight from a high/low projector to dual low beams so I'd have a nice even look and nobody stopping me telling me I have a headlight out- not cool. This was a VERY difficult process!

I proceeded to mock up the fairing and fab up a bracket system to hold it in place firmly under the buell's notorious vibrations. I was forced to chop up the Buell headlight frame to make room for the Duc front end. I added a pair of 55W 6K HIDs as well. I eliminated the stock blinkers and wired in the Duc integrated blinkers.

All painting was done by me.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast