Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9S Revs slowly

Hey guys. Been lurking for quite a while, but finally had a reason to post up.

I've got a 2003 XB9SL with 30k on the clock. Yes, I know, its fairly old and tired at this point. It looks like hell, but I still love it.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is that it seems like it revs quite slowly. I can whack it all the way open, and it takes a few seconds to hit redline. Maybe I'm just used to the rate at which Japanese sportbikes spin up, but this just seems excessive. Even compared to other videos, it seems off. What could be causing this?

My ECM is flashed to race settings, and I've got a (mostly empty) Jardine RT1. It has a custom fuel map that was put on by the previous owner, so I can't really claim that its the best. does anything jump out at you, or should I just do a TPS reset and see what happens?

Edit: Forgot to mention that it has a Uni foam air filter, and the breather reroute done already.

TPS reset and see what happens?
    Thats the first thing I would do.

if I remember correctly this seems like a symptom of an intake leak.

Wolfo68: I'll go ahead and spray some carb cleaner today and check for leaks. It runs fine otherwise though, with no sputtering or rough idle, so if it is in fact leaking, it can't be very bad. It wouldn't surprise me though, as the bike is pretty old.

I can whack it all the way open, and it takes a few seconds to hit redline
    thats pretty common. 20 pound crankshaft + sprocket + rotor + clutch. crankshaft is easily brought down to 16 pound, sprocket and rotor to -2 pounds. reducing clutch weight requires aluminium clutch parts, which wear quickly. undercut transmission gears save another 6 pounds. no problem at all. internet experts will probably tell you to do a breather reroute instead.

just a thought.. clean the air filter? if its not sucking the air it needs it wont run right

Data log if you can.

Repacked the can last week, and went ahead with a new filter. Still has a monstrous flat spot and I need to remap. Seems fine for now. I imagine that I'll be looking at a tune up in the near future, which should get things sorted.

Still have yet to find my cable to do a proper TPS reset. but I am quite sure that it will solve the majority of my issues.

i'm pretty sure it wont.

I have a custom throttle setup with different cables, and my idle is sitting just under a grand. I'm pretty sure it will improve things. I should have done it as soon as I finished but I didn't think anything of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast