Thread: Knock, Knock then nothing _ problems getting strted

Hey all,

I had my bike (xb12ss '09) sitting for a bit_with low fuel (...delays during shipping) Last time I tried to start it, I reconnected the battery, and lights etc. functioned but when I hit the ignition switch. The engine just went 'knock, knock' I am a bit of a neophyte to the bike so I thought to ask if this was a battery issue or some thing else_ As it seems I am hearing the pistons knock twice but there is not trace of spark or consistent starter turn over.

Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated

Is it a ticking noise, or is the motor turning but not starting? My guess is dead battery.

Hey oh9bolt,

Really a knock, knock, or clang, clang, not a ticking by far_ Also as I said the lights work etc.

I thought battery but the hard double knock makes me wonder _ I am checking the battery charge later today anyway_

Groupie,Since you shipped the Bike you always check the fluids first before you start the Engine this way you know it has something in the Engine. Usually on a Buell or Harley Davidson Vehicle it needs to be run a few minutes to get a true reading on oil levels. But anytime you ship something check it all over before you Start it. Hopefully you will just need to charge or replace your battery . IF you don't have a way to do that take the Battery out of the Bike and have it Load Tested at the Auto Parts store. Its free to do that and will help isolate step one of diagnousing what may be happening. Make sure to keep any small spacers from the Battery Terminals & bolts so you can put in correctly. You also need to start learning some of the simpler things about a motorcycle so when you post we can understand what is happening so someone can help with problems that will arise. The Manuals are at the top of the page & even pertain to certain areas for all 2000-to present Buell XBs & for down loading or just reading. Yours is a 2009/bike so while you can, get a Service manual for your own Bike this way you can read up anytime you like. And full of information that will be needed for years to come.Hope it is an easy fix.*Jimi