Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XB12Ss, checking error codes

Banned
    Hello, I have 2009 Buell xb12 Scg. I replaced rocker box gaskets, replaces manifold intake gaskets, replaced O2 sensor by Bosh, replaced all fuses and relays in the fuse box, cleaned all ground terminals and battery connections, cleaned and recharged the K&N air filter, cleaned all electrical contacts with connector cleaning spray, cleaned electrical stator and voltage regulator connectors, covered all the contacts with dielectric grease, cleaned the air cooler, performed Throttle Position Sensor reset. This morning after 10 minutes ride the engine check light came after some rough idle. I have no idea what happened, I spent 2 weeks to fix the top engine oil leak and refreshing another components, and now motorcycle runs worst. I hate this motorcycle. Please let me know how can I fix it?

You did a lot of work all at once. There could be a number of things wrong. However, I would suspect the problem is something very simple.
    First question: was the bike showing a CEL prior to you working on it?
    Second question: are you sure you reconnected everything properly?
    I'd start with the plug wires and coil connections. If one of those wasn't fully seated it could have come loose and be the root cause of your problems.
    Have a look at your wires and connectors, check what code your bike is showing and report back.
    Good luck

Banned
    Yes, engine check light appeared earlier. But I never checked the codes because I believed the engine check showed low voltage because I saw no charging on my voltage gauge when it happened. It happened couple times last month then I decided to maintain the motorcycle.

I'm sure I connected all properly. I carefully followed manual.

There are couple things I'm done I'm not sure I supposed to do. I cleaned the intake manifold with break cleaner, so the break cleaner reached everything, TPS sensor, injectors, injectors o-rings. I also tried to clean the engine valves trough the intake holes with break cleaner, valve cleaner, Sea Foam. And I also replaced the original O2 sensor by Bosch model.

Today I shortened pin 1 and pin 2 on the Data Link plug and engine check light gave me three codes:

Code 13 (which is Oxygen sensor according the list of codes posted here)
    Code 16 (which is Battery voltage according the list of codes posted here)
    Code 33 (which is Fuel pump according the list of codes posted here)

I do not have 2009 Buell XB Electric manual, but here are the codes from 2008 Buell XB electric manual, I believe they are the same

I replaced the original 2009 Buell XB12Scg oxygen sensor by Bosh 12014. I'm not sure if those codes are old or new. But I believe that the Battery Voltage code is the one of the latest codes because of I noticed on the voltage gauge attached to the dash board the motorcycle lost charging process for a moment with no response on RPM before it starter to idle rough and then the engine check light came. It happened recently a couple times so I decided to replace all the fuses, all relays from the fuse box, clean all the ground terminals and clean and check electric stator connectors and voltage regulator connectors. Stator and VR connectors look perfect, all connectors under the fuse box look perfect. I'm confused.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-08-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Banned
    OK. I just charged the battery and started the motorcycle, then after a couple minutes RPM dropped to 1000 with rough jumping and engine check light came ON, then RPM raised to normal condition 1200 and then engine worked with no issues but engine check light stayed ON. All that time the voltage was OK, so it looks like it is not voltage related issue.

Banned
    By the way. When I rotated the engine I disconnected the fuel pump plug and started the motorcycle without pump to empty the fuel line according manual. So I believe I can ignore the code 33 related the fuel pump?

Banned
    I did not clear the codes, the motorcycle needs over 50 start-ride-stop cycles to erase the codes from the memory, that is a lot. I did not unplugged the O2 sensor when I drained the fuel. Yes I had charging issue before and I still not figure out what happened, I need more rides or some kind of tests to figure out if ground spots cleaning, VR and stator connectors cleaning and fuses and relays replacing had fixed the issue. But I newer had the issue with RPM and engine check light when motorcycle started on fresh charged battery, this is new.

Banned
    OK, it looks like the charging issue is still there, I just started warmed motorcycle and there was no charging. For me it looks like there is no contact in the stator or VR circuits.

Banned
    I captured videos with both issues!

Here is the behavior after 3 minutes after starting cold engine. RPM dropped and engine check light came

Then I stopped the engine, let it seat a minute and started again and instantly cached the second issue with charging

Then I let it seat 10 minutes and started third tome and charging is back! But the RPM drop and check engine light issue came after a minute.

Then I started fourth time, and charging issue is back!

On the second video it looks for me like there is bad wire or contact somewhere in the VR or stator circuit. Maybe engine warm up and vibrations somehow affect it.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Banned
    I just tested the stator, there is no shortening on the ground, stator output is about 25 volts AC at 1100 RPM. Then I checked the connector between the VR and the battery from battery side, and there is no damaged wire in this circuit because I can sens the voltage from the battery side of the connector but there is no charging. So it looks like there is an issue in the VR circuit or connector between stator, VR and battery. But the connectors look perfect.

How do I check the VR wires and VR itself?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-08-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Banned
    I have this manual. Is there 2009 electric manual? I feel there are differences between 2008 and 2009 because of when I located the Diagnostic Connector I noticed the wire colors and pin numbers of the connector are different according 2008 electric manual and 2009 service manual.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast