Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Sert Oil Drain

I'm part of the DIY oil drain fail club. I have been doing some research and searching the internet and buell xb for the best way to repair the damage. I was thinking about going the cheap way tapping it to a larger metric thread but I want to put the original plug back in. The conclusion I have come too is the time sert method is the strongest possible fix. It maintains the original plug, allows you to have higher torque, and is supposedly a better fix than the helicoil. Who has done it? any one for or against the time sert?

Kit I'm looking at: 1/2-20 Oil Pan Aluminum pans
    KIT PART # 0122A

I had a pro do a timesert cause I dont have the skills for that. Seems to be holding up great with a couple thousand miles on it.

Four year bike tech here, timeserts are the ****!

Time Serts are the way to keep you riding. Do not TorQue the Drain plugs to factory Specs. Just Snug them with a new Factory O'ring. Make sure you also just snug OR good and Snug the [Spark Plugs] also or you will be rethreading them as well or buying new Heads.
    Patience is key to doing some of the work on any machine, and when in doubt then here we are. Someone here on the forum will be able to assist you with many of the repairs to keep you riding.
    You may need to remove the Transmission Cover/Primary etc.for doing this needed repair that way no shavings get into the gear box OR the Needle Bearings inside the Clutch Basket.Good Luck.*Jimi

can anyone please confirm the correct 'time sert' kit for a swing arm oil drain thread repair on a 2008 xb12ss? thanks.

Inactive
    both oil and primary drain plugs one and the same. the are 1/2-20 SAE. time sert should be the same. measure the depth you need.

syn...0122a is the correct time sert kit. PM me and I'll send you mine.

Guys, I'm in the same boat. I went slowly once it was snug, thinking I was almost to the "click". Then, POOF, magically it loosened-but not much. I live in a small subdivision, so I'm thinking about riding it for a bit to get to temperature and seeing what happens. I didn't make the same mistake with the primary plug.

Would someone explain the time-sert to me? I know the BEST solution is new swingarm, but I ride about 600 miles a year and don't want to spend ALL of my riding time working on it (although it is fun). Maybe next time I should pay attention to feel instead of specs...

Thanks in advance folks.

EDIT: 2007 XB12R.

It's like a heli-coil, but a bit better.
    I google imaged this for ya.
    top is a heli-coil, bottom is a timesert

Cooter, so I treat it just like a helicoil? That might not be too bad. Drain the oil, raise the rear end, and install. I assume I Loctite the snot out of that bad boy and there are inner threads where I thread in the current plug?

Asking in general, since I didn't completely strip out the current threads, what does everyone think about liquid gasket or heavily "loctiting" the current plug? Maybe it's a "look and see" scenario. I ran it for about 5 miles yesterday and the plug stayed put with no leaks.

Maybe I'm just lazy. That timesert looks pretty awesome, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast