Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 99 X1

Ok here it is, guess I'll start a build thread and do all my question asking here, My other thread was more of an introduction of myself.
    For those who dont know its a 1999 X1 with 6400 miles on it, all stock. I got it off a buddy of mine from work. He hit a beam and dropped the bike pulling a whole shot inside a body shop, and it has sat for two years. He just would go out and start it or ride it around the block once or twice a month.

The only intake that I seam to like is the forcwinder type. My first biggest question is: are the forcwinder snorkles for the Buell carbed and FI bikes the same? It looks like the only differance in the two systems is the breather set up and the FI one uses a ovalish shaped filter element so you can stick the air temp sensor into the back of it. Ill come up with my own breather set up and if I can just get a snorkle for a carbed bike, Ill just make a hole in the snorkle on the back side and use my stock rubber grommet for the temp sensor.

More Tubers! :D
    I like the color. You're going to have fun!

Well lets see?
    My new headlight bucket showed up a few days ago NOS 10 bucks.
    My headlight reflector, trim ring and lens showed up today. (used and the damn lens is broke) Thats what I get for not reading the discription more carefully (Hangs head in shame).
    ordered a NOS shift lever today, 25 bucks!
    also ordered a forcewinder today! 150 bucks!!
    I was told on another forum that the snorkels are the same on the carb and F.I. forcewinders!! Im not worried about fancy smancy breather pipes right now, I mostly wanted the snorkel and filter. And I still plan on drilling my own hole in the snorkel and useing the rubber grommet from the old plastic one to mount my I.A.T. sensor
    woohoo!

Viva le Tuber! Did i say that right?

Merlin... I am running the carb version of the forcewinder with a hole in the elbo for my IAT. I personally like the look better than the offset filter. As far as the vents mine are plugged and I am running the xb rocker boxes with pcv valves routed to a catch can.

Nice bike. Have fun with it!

Cool NwRider!
    Im glad to get more confirmation that the carb version of the snorkel will bolt to the throttle body of my bike! And I feel the same way about the oval verson of the filter "big n ugly" and just sticking the IAT and breather tubes in the back of the filter just seems kinda cheesy. Not worth over $350 for that set up to me.
    I looked into the XB boxes, hmmm that is a mod that may have to wait. $$$ Ill just do a catch can for now with what I got.

Ok so Im thinking in advance here, Im no where ready to use this yet. But I want to start reading the instructions so Im ready when the time comes.

Is this all I need to start screwing up...... er I mean fine tuning my bike when Im ready?

Is this the ecmspy I keep seeing everybody talk about?

I downloaded it from a link I found over on bad weather.

that is it.

if you need a 99 race tune let me know.

Thanks pur pony
    Ill keep you in mind.
    I was a bit confused when I found ecmspys website, it said you have to pay to get it now. And it looks like you only get one download per what # ecm you have?
    And also once you install an your home PC its bound and cant be moved to a laptop/shop computer whatever you want to run it on.
    The ecmspy I downladed? Is it an older version or something? Is there any thing else I need to download?

Speaking of race tunes, whats with some people saying you need the race ecm from Buell? Isnt that what ECMspy can do is turn your stock computer into a race by fine tuning everthing?

I dont know, havnt been on the ECMSpy website in a while. I have a couple copies of it from 2 years back when it was free.

Using ECMSpy you can just download the BUELL RACE Fuel maps into your stock computer basically making it a RACE ECM. Thats what i run in my bike with no issues.

Good to know pony,
    Because I was wondering where to get full maps (unless you hang out in a cool place such as this) cause it looks like you cant get anything from ecmspy without sending them money first.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast