Thread: Frame Repair

Searched but couldn't find any results. I have a fuel leak coming from a crack along the weld by my right side air scoop of the frame. It looks as if the weld broke with a hairline crack straight down it. I'm trying to avoid tearing whole bike down and getting repaired by a welder. I'm gonna try JB weld, quick steel, etc. Clean paint and chase crack slightly then apply fix. Looking for any suggestions or thoughts.

Sounds like a band aid fix. As you know the frame is structural and any hairline crack is going to get worse with time and mileage. JB weld ain't going to restore stability to that failed weld, it may not even fix the leak. The correct fix would be to drain the tank/frame then tear the bike down to where a welder has sufficient access for a good tig weld.

If I was in a pinch far from home and needed to limp her back, I would drain the tank then use aluminum epoxy on the crack with masking tape over it to hold it in while it cured. After full cure time; put 1/2 tank in and lean the bike towards the repair and check for leaks. If no leaks then fill er up and go.

i'd get a new frame.....

if it was dented like mine i'd suggest bondo and pain.

however i supose you could cut the crack out (depending on how small it is), and weld some metal over it...

Just find a good welder. It's not worth risking a crash ensued by a fireball

Just find a good welder. It's not worth risking a crash ensued by a fireball

JB weld is good for quite a lot of things, but I would go with getting it welded by a good welder.

Before welding the frame disconnect the battery. I found out the hard way years ago when I was welding a frame no where near the battery and the battery blew up.