Thread: Check engine light.

So I went to look at an '07 Buell xb12Ss today and it looks really good. There is just one problem. The check engine light was on. The seller said that the stock exhaust has some sort of wire/cable that goes in to the intake (I think he said intake but I'm not very mechanically inclined so I might be way off) but his after market exhaust doesn't have it and the bike knows it is not there hence the check engine light. Since I am not mechanically inclined I was wondering if this is a real thing or if this guy knew I didn't know much about bikes and is trying to take advantage. One thing that leads me to believe something might be wrong is the bike only has 3400 miles (I can't imagine why I would ride that beauty everywhere) and he had to start it a couple times before it stayed on. That part could just be because it is cold here and he said he hasn't started it in a couple months. Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question but I figured who better to ask about the exhaust then the parts forum? Any help would be appreciated.

its legit...the 12s have a actuator in the muffler. just reconnect the cable to the servo unit on top of the air cleaner and it should go out. the servo doesnt need to be connected just the electronic part to "trick the ecm into thinking its still there3. Also an after market ecm would rid that problem or if you are tech savvy ECMSPY can disconnect it..

Well Daniel, welcome to the forum, Now if you like or want to own a Buell Motorcycle might want to get yourself a manual to start so as to brush up on some knowledge Especially a Buell, every bike made has different maintenance procedures, this way you are more informed.
    Buells are great bikes and some people love them or hate them. It's a bike that does need to be cared for a certain way. All Bikes are like that. This is why this [forum] is so important to so many Buellers/Riders. Make sure to do the background necessary before buying Any Motorcycle. Motorcycles take more care than Vehicles. Also simple things can really become expensive unless you do the learning necessary for Ownership of such great Machines.
    NOW the [Engine light] that you asked about MAYbe the Exhaust Cable is in a bind OR Electrical is disconnected underneath the Airbox cover OR possible Exhaust Actuator Box(same area). OR it might be the battery Voltage is low or the System is not charging properly.
    Never Twist the Throttle when trying to start the Engine. The Spark Plugs are another area that you need to put a little learning into, so you don't crossthread the plugs threads.The area is Tight so Patience is Mandatory! But nothing to worry about, done correctly. The NGK -DCPR9EIX plugs are best for Quicker Starting, they come already gapped. Only a Wire gapper is to be used to check them not the solid Gapper you see so many of at the Auto Parts stores. When you want to purchase a Motorcycle the miles can kinda trick you depending on the Previous Owners.It's possible that he just doesn't know about Buells and setup is important,etc..
    Some purchase for Bragging/Trading & Fair weather riding and Others Buy to Ride! That is not with saying some just can't Maintain a cool bike like a Buell. If you buy [any] bike the first thing you need to do is put in a NEW proper Battery if it is more than 3/years old. At least put a Battery Tender Pig tail on it due to not having the Bike Run and ridden or maybe properly maintained.
    Never jump start a small bike battery from a running Vehicle.Especially a Diesel! The Buells take some learning about but the Forum is here to help you along the way should you buy the bike. The Bike properly set up will ride great and Run Great but you must do a few things should you buy it. 1- DO the Oil first. When you change the oil for instance make sure to use 20/50 full synthetic Only, for a V.Twin engine,& Amsoil is a good oil!you can also use the same for the Transmission.
    Just Make sure to be gentle on the Drain Plugs and just snug them when tightening w/a new O'ring of course. Try not to Speed Shift the Gears it's a Sportster Style Transmission just shift it and the loud Clunking is normal.75/90 Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube in the Transmission helps some with that.
    There are Manuals at the top of the Page here on the Forum, and some Areas still pertains to Certain areas of the Bike.The Bike you Mentioned is Nice and a Great Ride She is Waiting for the Right Owner. Well thats' enough for now. Whatever your decision learn the bike some before you buy OR get the Bike and work it from there. Good Luck*Jimi

My cable is disconnected in my 07R and runs great with NO lights on. 4k, 12r. Makes a deeper rumble without being ubnoxious on the hway. IMO good luck.