Thread: pro taper vs renthal help

Can someone tell me which pro tapers would be about the same as the renthal ultra lows??

I hear a lot about the Carmichael bend but if I'm not mistaken the Pro-tapers are larger at the clamp which means they will require risers/adapters. Pretty sure both companies list their specs. Check their sites and compare.

the Carmichaels are pretty low. both pro-taper and renthal make 7/8 and 1 1/8 bars though. the renthal ultra-low is a 7/8 bar.

yes you will have to visit the manufactures website to find out what the rise and pullback is for each model. if you like the renthal ultra lows why are you looking for a pro taper bar?

7/8 protaper chart
    http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/se

renthal ultra low
    http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.as...del=&bikedate=

guess im just bored, you should have been able to find these charts though. it took me like 30 seconds.

The pro tapers I saw online before i posted the question did not have the crossbar. So i liked that better than the renthal which does have the cross bar. But I'm reading now that the 7/8 protaper bar does have a crossbar. Plus the local cycle gear has several protapers in stock.

Is 7/8 the stock sz on a lightning. I dont want to have to change anything except the bar.

yes 7/8 is the stock size. people have cut the cross bar off.

i bought this adapter and am running it with 1 1/8 carmichael bend bars and think its a great combo.

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/product....4&cat=5&page=2

I just moved from Renthal ultra lows (no cross bar) to Pro Taper carmichaels (7/8). The Renthals were nice and low but with more pull back than I wanted. The Renthals are plenty low & forward too. Initially, I wasn't a fan of the cross bar, but now I'm really digging it...something different. In the end, it's all opinion, so try them out (as best you can) and good luck. You can pull specs off of both manufacturers websites to see where they differ as well.

riverotter...did you have any problems with the ultra lows as far as clearance between the bar and airbox when you locked the forks? did you have any trouble with cable lenths when you swapped 'em? thanks

The ultra lows on mine will just touch the airbox near full lock, no problems with cables though. I had some pro taper suzuki minis which fit ok, but were taller and had less room for controls.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Renthals yesterday, i will let you know how i like them.

thrstrmech - I didn't have any issues with the Ultra Lows, though it was REALLY close. Cables were good a non-issue as well.