Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what oil do you use?

I just purchased an 06 XB12ss about two weeks ago. the guy told me he always used harley davidsons syn 3 motor oil. Does anyone know if this oil is fully synthetic? and which oil do you recommend for this bike?

which oil do you recommend for this bike?
    20w50
    Synthetic is better and will give you more miles between changes. I can't answer your question about the HD oil. I have never bought into name brand anything.

Inactive
    you just opened a can of worms here, sir. LOL
    in all seriousness, the HD lubricants for the past 3 years or so have been manufactured by mobil/exxon with H-D specific additive packages. they are excellent lubricants. in temps between 40 and 100 degrees fahrenheit which should cover most all riding conditions here in the US, most everyone on here including myself uses 20-50. Castrol Act-Evo might be best buy out there...Amsoil, Mobil 1 V-twin, Motul, Redline very popular with board members. modern lubricants are so damn good nowadays you can't go wrong with any of them. price shop but Castrol is my personal fav. do NOT use what i call "car oil" in the primary fill which is 1 US quart. can and most likely will cause clutch pack problems due to its additive package. any of the above mentioned oils also work well in primary. i personally use Bel-Ray gearsaver #80 in primary along with Motul Synthese. hope that helps.

Inactive
    got off on tangent and forgot---syn3 is partial synthetic meaning it's from petroleum base stocks.

shell rotella t. i change it often. clean cheap oil is better than old dirty expensive oil.

Any 20W50 - Motorcycle-specific, Full Synthetic. I use Mobil 1 V-twin but will probably swap to Amsoil.

Woo hoo another oil thread :D Along with tires and helmets we should make one big sticky! :)

Woo hoo another oil thread Along with tires and helmets we should make one big sticky!
    What do you guys think this is? A motorcycle forum?

Word.

I use amsoil 20/50, just sayin. :p

Amsoil 20/50 full syn, wix filter.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast