Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12Ss slow crank?

Hey everyone. About to go and buy my first Buell this weekend (2006 XB12Ss). The seller says it runs and shifts perfectly; the only thing he's ever noticed that was strange was when he started it. He said it sounds like the starter is struggling to turn it over, almost as if it's fighting really high compression. After a couple seconds though, he said it spins up and fires, no problem. The battery is brand new. He said it's always been that way (that's the only v-twin he's ever owned, btw. he doesn't have anything to compare it to).

Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is this normal with the 1203cc v-twin? Also, anything else you guys suggest I keep my eyes open for when buying one of these?

Thanks in advance!

I got 33,000 miles on my 2005 xb12scg and it has always started exactly like that. These are not I-4 bikes that spin start like a sewing machine. MIne always sounds sluggish at first push on the starter then it fires right up without fail.

Awesome Lesley. Thanks much for the input!

You are more than welcome. Beware though. If that bike has the original battery it would be wise to replace when you can. Some people push them as far as they will go but I like to replace the battery every three years. But yes it will still probably start slow. LOL No worries. Safe journeys and enjoy that bike.

Inactive
    it's the nature of the beast, liquid. many big-bore twins do this including some ducatis, bmw's, H-D's, and aprilias. it is one piston rising in its bore near TDC compression stroke. the starter motor hasn't had enough time and generated enough momentum with the crank to shove the piston thru this cycle and starter motor briefly. it all depends on where the 2 pistons are in their respective strokes when the motor is last shut down. common way around it is just bump the starter switch once or twice quickly to get piston past TDC but not really necessary or nothing to be concerned with. all part of the Buell mystique including a bit of motor/primary noise along with alot of "where do you put in the gas" and "holy hell that thing sounds cool" remarks.

Inactive
    About to go and buy my first Buell this weekend (2006 XB12Ss
    congrats and hope you get it. they are wonderful bikes with tons of character and you'll wish you had gotten one years ago.

Makes perfect sense Lunatic. And I will most definitely enjoy this thing. Timing couldn't be more perfect either: closed a big deal back in December and payment just came through today. Unless the guy's a liar and the engine's falling out, she's all mine.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm stoked to join the Buell community :D

mine always turned a little slow at first but I had charged the battery for a day and it started spinning real quick after the charge. I just assumed that it was slow because the battery was going bad. I am replacing that battery soon and I expect it to crank a little faster. It was actually Autozone that charged the battery and said it only would get about a 75 percent charge after charging all day and it was cranking faster than it was previously with that charge they put on it. I'll let you know what happens when I put the new battery in but it will be a few weeks because the engine is being rebuilt.

I just got my 07 uly. Bike starts just like that. Sounds dead then turns it through and starts.

my 2009 XB12Scg will do that every once in a while, especially if it has sat for a period of time. Split second where you hit the start and it doesn't respond, then it fires right up. Does not do it when it is warm tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast