Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel coming out of the headers!?

My 07 XB12Ss died while on I-75 @ 80 MPH the other day and I rolled to a stop scratching my head as to what could be the problem. I thought it might have been a fuel issue at first but I had half a tank left. Then I thought it was an electrical problem since thats what seems to plague my XB on a daily basis; However it cranks, the engine turns but no hits on the cylinders. I get it home via truck and park it. The next morning I come out key on, lights come on, primes, gauges cycle. I hit the ignition button, the engine turns, no hits on either cylinder and fuel begins dripping from the headers (I took the exhaust off to prep for mods) enough to make a small puddle under the XB. So Im not an electrical guy in the slightest bit so help me out here. WTF is going on! In the last two months I replaced the batt twice, the volt reg, the belt, the ignition, key, and start relays and Im about at the end of my patience.

I would stop throwing money at it and take it to a buell tech

yeah man Im about to do that but if I can fix it on my own its worth a shot

K I'm no help with gas leaking from a header but taking it I a dealer/mechanic is not our first answer on this forum, unless it's still under warranty.

And wait for a senior member to chime in, don't depend on one comment from someone who only has a few posts.

MY THOUGHTS:: First off are you aure its coming from the header? [confused/] Gas leaking from a exhaust hole means its not burning the gas or it's spraying wayyyy too much in there. Have you changed plugs in a while? You may not be getting cylinder sparkIf the gas isn't burning... Any modifications done to ECM to tell injectors to spray that much gas?

No ECM mods, and yes its coming from the header. I suspect no spark. I just pulled the plugs 5 min ago and it looks as if they have never been replaced and there is fuel fouling on both. The rear plug was wet with gas and after I pulled #1 cyl plug I cranked it to see if there was spark and I saw none. My thoughts are fouled plugs and bad ignition relay. Thoughts?

dont worry Onelogue, no shop visits for me unless I have exhausted all avenues of repair on my own. hence my presence here to poll the vast wealth of XB knowledge.

Any of you XB gearheads in or around Gainesville FL? Assistance is officially requested. I will include beer.

I'd actually post this up on badweb, they may be pricks but they thrive on this stuff

Will do, thanks for the headsup Wolfo68

they may be pricks but they thrive on this stuff
    :D

Ok.. You need 3 things to make a motor run.
    1) compression
    2) spark
    3) gas
    We know you have gas and you must have a little compression. So it's spark.
    Pull your air box and air cleaner plate pull the main power plug to your coil use a volt meter to see if your getting power. If so then pull a spark plug wire and put a car wire on the coil (car wires are longer so you can turn the bike over and ground the plug)
    If you have power to the plug but not through the coil to plug then you have a bad coil.
    And if it's a bad coil.. pay shipping and I'll give you one.
    Got power at the coil plug, plugged it back into the coil, attached plug wire and plug and saw spark (shocked myself too, why I dont do electrical stuff). not sure i did it right though. attach car plug wire and plug and look for spark? or use volt meter with the car plug wire? There is a lot of fuel coming out of the rear cylinder plug hole. more than I would think would be injected??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast