Thread: Won't start - Have an electrical problem! Help!

I've been a lurker for years, searching these forums but have never posted! I need help!

This weekend I went to start my 2006 Sunset Orange XB12SS and take it for a quick rip as I do every few weeks through the winter and I can't get her to start.

Wondering where to begin, I've already replaced the battery, which needed to be done regardless (had a stripped post and bad ground):

Symptoms:
    -When I turn the key over and ignition on, the bike does not turn over, does not cycle, gauge lights are very dim, and I can hear an inconsistent electrical ticking sound coming from the engine area (starter?)
    -Cycles and starts when jumped off another battery (while my truck's not running), although it doesn't start as smoothly as usual, I often have to hold the starter button longer and sometimes give a touch of the throttle.
    -Sometimes when I disconnect the jumpers, it dies right away.
    -When it does stay running, the second I put it into gear and give it gas it dies.
    -It has been jumped off a running vehicle in the recent past (Bad bad bad, I know) which may have fried something.

Any help is VERY appreciated!

When did you replace the battery? Sounds like a dead battery, do you keep it on a tender?

Replaced the battery yesterday. It was doing the same thing with my old battery so I replaced it immediately as the old battery had a stripped post and loose ground.

Battery had to be replaced regardless - it was first in the line of attack.

I did not have it on a tender, I just gave it a quick run around every couple weeks.

Ok it possibly is a bad stator, or the voltage regulator. Did it start right up when you first bought and put in the new battery.

Bad stator or vr link

Not sure if it started the first time the new battery went in, but I don't think so.

Can't edit... I meant to say:

Symptoms:
    -When I turn the key over and ignition on, the fuel pump does not engage, the bike does not turn over, gauge lights are very dim, and I can hear an inconsistent electrical ticking sound coming from the engine area (starter?)

Sounds like the battery. even if the stator or voltage regulator was bad it should start up and run with a fresh battery.

A quick run around will only drain your battery. they say it takes a good 25miles or so just to recharge what you used to start it up.

I'll trickle charge the battery tonight then, just in case the battery had a low charge when it came, if that doesn't work I'll take it back and get it tested.

Could the new battery be a wrong battery? They look identical side by side, I've been told our battery is the same as a Vrod battery, and the guy at the shop told me it was a Vrod battery I was buying, but I did not confirm any specs.

The voltage should be the same on the batteries. The only thing that might be different is the cranking amps and in that case I would think the V-rod battery would have more. Either way the battery should be turning over your engine at least.