Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing early XL trans in XB cases (other cool stuff too!)

You had me at "boost controller microswitch"

Firefighter, I have seen the kit, but not in person.

The first issue is the XL6 shift fork design vs the XB design. The XB forks ride on two separate shift fork shafts while the XL forks ride on the drum.

The second issue is the bolt pattern for the XL6 trap door is not even close to the XB case bolt pattern, since the stock XL cases are so different. A custom trap door is a must.

Also, how does the location of the XL shift drum centerline compare to the XB? If those are different, the XB shift shaft is going to be different. You would solve that with the XB specific trap door, but you would still have to machine a new shift drum if so.

Lots of unknowns! You will run into lots of problems if you don't verify the fit of every part when you tackle a project like this.

I would love to see someone take on the project! It would be a cool setup!

The XL and XB trans have the same locations, center lines. The shift drum on the XL has a bigger diameter on the right side case. Other than that it drops in the right side case. What I was planning on doing for the trap door is draw up the stock door and make a ring to match it and then weld that into the stock/modified xb left side case. If I do it this way the six speed will bolt right in.

I had the trap door half drawn up but my hard drive went south and I lost it. So I'll have to start over. I wish I could use the cmm at work but there's no way that would happen.

A xb 6 speed is in the works, and I want to be the first.

Matt

Ok, I see what you are saying about the shift drum now. I work in a machine shop that can basically make anything. I think I'll try this.

I know the Blast transmission shifts like the XL with a XB style case. I'm thinking a blending of those three parts and making whatever else I can probably do it.

Thanks Eric.

Let me know if you guys need some help on this. I am interested in doing the mod myself. I do aircraft prototyping for a living and can literally make anything. I just haven't dug into the tranny yet (other things on my to-do list first). I will have to wait until next winter for that but if anyone needs some fab or design help then let me know.

Also I found this engine case (see link below) with a trap door already built into it. This guy is right up the road from where I'll be this weekend so I'm going to try and stop by - see what details I can get out of it.

Engine case on eBay

The door is different than the XL and those cases are unfinished. You would have to machine the decks and jug bores.
    Matt

Yea Bairframe, it's really a waste of time to look at those. They have been on ebay a hundred times. They are nothing special, basic XB cases. They are race use only, meaning where the serial number goes on the case they are stamped "race use only" That's about the big difference in them and regular XB cases.

They also need a LOOOOOOOT of machining.

Those cases are very unique. They are set up for dual crankcase reed valves, have a MUCH thicker right crank bearing race and the aluminum alloy is stronger than oem cases uses.

It would be a great set of cases to build a powerful engine from.

I would really be interested in finding a 3.6 crank!

really... I was unaware they had a different crank bearing race. When you say stronger case, are they T7 vs say T6 of the same alloy or are they say 2024 vs say 1050?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12