Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulysses issues

Hi everyone, had my Uly for about 4 months now and really enjoy it, well as much as my dodgy hips will let me. Few things that can be off putting though. She has a tendency to stand up and push to the outside of corners under brakes. It also really stuggles to soak up corrugations when cornering, just about lost it a couple of times, gets real skittery. The front brake shudders. I cant detect any run out, just feels like theres sticky and slippery parts on the disc, grips..releases..grips..releases etc. Iv'e just done a 3000k trip and she's great in that 130kph sweet spot but seems to have a few vices. Anyone had similar??. Cheers, Stu

My 2006 does the same thing with the front brake so I just ordered new stuff of ebay rotor and caliper and a sweet black and white buell jacket. Tired of wearing my rossi yamaha jacket on my buell.

suspension setup is important start with factory specs for ur weight.my xb12 has had same brake issues from get go.

Never hurts to deglaze the rotor ever once in a while...... Especially if she's been used hard. I used 1000 grit wet sanding paper and elbow grease.

my 06 uly has about 25k on it. I ride the piss out of it. Ever sience I changed pads at 8k the damn machine has a surge on slow or shallow braking, if you brake hard its not bad. I've flipped rotor,checked for run out,finally said screw this and just ordered crap from ebay (rotor) if problem consists will order caliper. and fork seals does anyone know of good after market fork seals cause getting crap from thunderchicken H-D is 6-8 weeks out if they remember to order it

Mito;
    It sounds like (aside from the brake chatter) you have some suspension setup issues.

If you are interested in lowering the bike a bit, there are kits available to drop it down a little. That may make for a better cornering experience.

Inactive
    stu; my 2007 Uly with 4000 miles on it had same feel on the front brake. would lightly pulse the front brake lever at very low speeds. not dangerous in any way but just annoying. the rotor and all attachment hardware was perfect but i found that the factory pads were causing the problem. i switched to EBC sintered metallic HH pads which i keep in stock here and it solved the problem. factory might have cheap chinese pads on it from new or something was only thing i could figure out. hope that helps. regards, john

Recommend suspension setup. Sounds like it may have too much dampening or too much preload to soak up those bumpy turns. As to the braking. Clean the rotor up really well with brakleen and a scotchbrite pad. Wash down brake pads with brakleen. Slowly ride and brake, will be grabby/noisy until the pads dry up. Should be good to go.

Got a new rotor and sintered pads works like a dream now. do not by parts from H-D dealer they suck monkey ass EBC work well and are not expensive

Something I remember tells me that you should do most of your braking before the corner with light drag braking before the apex. If you jump on the rear brake the bike will stand up in the corner. If you apply the front brake too hard while in the corner leaned over then you risk a lowside if the wheel slides out. I try to slow the bike first, pick a good angle of lean and roll through the corner till apex and drive out.
    I would try to clean the rotors first because they build up residue. Might save a buck.

BR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast