Thread: Sticky Steering Head Bearing??

First off I am not even sure if that is what it is called. Sorry if thats not it. I am talking about the big one right under the top triple.

I gave the bike a good wash down about 4-5 weeks ago and parked it in a wheel chock in my garage.

Got home today and decided to make use of the extra light from daylight savings and change the oil I have been meaning to.

Upon sliding the bike back out of the wheel chock I noticed I could not turn the handle bars to the left and it was sticky going to the right. I applied some more force and it gave way slowly. A few quick turns back and forth and I was able to get full lock in both directions again.

Changed the oil in the swingarm and primary, checked levels and took her out for a spin.

New oil is great, bike feels fresh...but...the sticky bearing is making things weird. At first I figured the tire pressure must be low from being parked so long thus making the bike feel lazy in the corners. Got home and check the pressures and they are at 32/36 right where I left them.

****...now it must be the bearing. Took it out for a spin again and its still feeling sluggish. Got back to my house and I swear I almost ate it pulling into the driveway (which was a left turn).

Parked it. Kicked the tire. Came upstairs to use my computer...which I am now typing on...the end.

Could parking it for so long cause this? I use soap and water as usual and a little diluted simple green on certain parts which may have gotten onto the top of the frame where the bearing is.

I am now terrified to ride the thing. Is it hard to change out the head bearing? Has anyone ever had their bearing get stiff after being parked?

Your help is much appreciated :)

Sounds like head bearing. My friends V-rod did that with less than 5k on it. Seemed to be a fluke like maybe a faulty seal on the bearing. It definetly rode like crap, he had me take it for a spin 2 c what i thought and i about dumped it. Would sortof refuse to turn in and then all of sudden break loose and turn in.

Yup thats it alright.

Spoke to my buddy Bossanova just now and he said I probably washed away the the grease/lube from the bearing with the simple green and since its been parked it probably rusted up a little. He said perhaps I could just take off the top triple and grease her up again. Dont know how effective that would be or if the bearing just needs to be replaced altogether.

Just downloaded the manual and that seems like a task above me to change. Says I would need a bearing head race installed (some HD part) and a steering head bearing installer (also an HD part). Although I hate to take it to them...seems like she may need to go into HD to have the bearings replaced.

FML. I hate how overboard I get with cleaning sometimes.

haha yeah i think that was my friends issue as well... he thought pressure washing the bug guts of the fly screen would be better than scrubbing and scatching is black paint. I'd say take it to a shop if ur never going to do ne other bearing work (no sense in buying a tool for one use).