Thread: Ultima Ignition How-To

Hybrid View

Thought I would start my ignition thread.

The Hi-4 idea has been scrapped.

I've sorted through a lot of different single-fire options and settled on this for the simple reason of: COST

Everyone (google search) seems to agree that this is a clone of the Dyna 2000i module from Dynatek. Seeing as I'm getting the module, a single fire coil, plug wires, timing cup, and some other miscellaneous odds and ends for $157 shipped, I have to try it out.

It *should* be similar wiring to the Hi-4, if not exactly save for the different color wires. It can run with or without VOES (I'll be without for the time being). It has race mode, adjustable rev limit (500rpm increments without software, 50rpm increments with), dead strokes, and adjustable advance curves. Everything can be finely tuned with the software and cable either from Ultima or Dynatek. People have programmed the Ultima using the Dynatek software, and visa versa...which furthers the theory it's a clone.

Seeing as I made all my bad mistakes with the Hi-4, this should be a pretty quick swap-in. It will go in with the new cams and springs as soon as it gets to my house. Cams and springs are waiting (for a spring compressor, lol).

This is what I got: p/n 53-660

This is where I got it

Best thing to do for indexing the timing cup (if needed, check it first): Flatten the notch. Make sure your engine is at TDC. Put the timing cup on the cam and bolt it tight. Temporarily install your nosecone module and rotate it back and forth. Remove the module and adjust the timing cup. Keep going back and forth until your static timing is correct. Then mark your cup for the notch and punch it. I used a fat flathead and just hit it with a hammer right there on the bike. I recommend using a different cam so you're not smacking your journals. The end result is the notch being indexed 115 degrees counterclockwise from stock.

*Notice in the first link, the software says "2Ki-P", that's the Dynatek software. Have to buy seperately, but Jireh has it for $87.95, p/n 53-646

I had it working fine, then I converted to EFI.