Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast is SLOW. What else to check?

2001 Blast
    4000 miles
    My sister purchased this last year, all stock except a Vance & Hines exhaust. By all stock I mean even the jetting. Ran quite poorly. Would try and bog off the line unless you babied it, and had a horrendous flat spot at mid throttle / mid rpm.

*New NGK iridium plug
    *45 pilot
    *172 main (they sent me the wrong 175)
    *0.048" needle shim (that's what my washers measured)
    *Started with the fuel screw 2-3/4 out, but that was way rich. Bike idles and comes off the line at light throttle much better around 2-1/4 turns out.
    *Changed all oil to Amsoil 20W-50
    *Adjusted the primary via sound method. Was not easy, doesn't seem to really make any noise even with the bolt about falling out. Have repeated 4 times now, once even trying to just spin the bolt in with my fingers till I felt resistance, then backing off a full turn. That and the sound method seemed to make no difference in, well, anything.
    *Removed and inspected the boot. Primo condition. Tried fogging that area with propane while idling to test for a leak, nothing.

It runs so much better now after the carb work. Much smoother, no hicups or hesitation anywhere. But it's dog slow, no difference in wide open compared to before rejetting. Sounds fine, just has very little power. Not that I expect it to be fast, but this thing seems like it has about 20 hp. 5th gear roll on from 60-65 mph takes 10+ seconds. I've gotten it to just break 80 mph, but it takes miles to go from 60-80 mph. I can't imagine jumping on the freeway for any distance with this bike. My old dual sported KDX220 seemed much faster, and stock was only around 28 hp (about 36 hp after a retarded amount of mods).

It sounds like the bike doesn't reach WOT. There's literally no difference from less than 1/2 throttle to wide open. No change in acceleration, no change in engine/intake/exhaust note, nadda. I keep questioning if the CV slide is opening fully, but it appears to be in great condition and slides easily when the carb is removed. Throttle cable slack was triple checked as well.

So, what have I overlooked? Or am I expecting too much? For my sister it probably doesn't matter, most her riding is around town. But I'd hate to see her get out on a longer ride and somehow get in trouble because she can't hardly accelerate from 60 mph. Thought I had it all wrapped up this morning so I could get it back to her this weekend.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The engine is to small:p

You've done most of the standard mods, Adam. The next thing would be getting rid of the stock airbox and doing something like the ASB velocity stack/Outerwears filter. Some guys add a K&N filter and cut the excess plastic out of the stock airbox. If you do an intake mod, you'd probably want to go up to 175 on the main jet. Beyound that, guys start adding XB9 jugs, pistons and heads. There's a ton you can do the the Blast, but she's not fast without some work. Good luck.

Try taking off the airbox and reving it up and see if the slide is moving smoothly all the way up.
    Also adding a xb9/12 jug will do nothing their all the same bore. If you want to make them run well, fuel injection is the way to go.
    Matt

So slow might be normal. :D

I know it's not a quick bike, it just seems much slower that I thought it should be. Then again, I've never ridden a street bike with less than ~65 hp! My dual sport was much "quicker', but also weighed <250 lbs and was gearing-limited to about 84 mph.

I'll pull the lid and see if the slide is moving decently. If everything seems mechanically sound she gets the bike back Sunday, and couldn't be happier about it. Told her tonight it was really dog slow accelerating past 60 mph, she laughed and said she'd never had it that fast yet. So big mods won't be necessary.

Maybe check the compression? You've done all the right things but if it's just down on power, it could just be tired... If the bike was run lean for too long, the rings could be cooked.

There is something definitely wrong. But if shes happy don't worry about it. At stock you should be able to get up to 80 pretty quickly. Beyond that it will pull a bit slower up to 96.

With a few simple checks, it will keep up with most bikes unless you regularly go over 90. Then good luck, as you will most likely be in jail or in the morgue fast enough.

If you want to keep up with superbikes: do headwork, big bore, different cams - better springs guides and valves and raise the limiter with an SE ignition.

Also, make sure you are shifting properly. No offense, but this isn't a superbike that can shoot up to 60 in 1st. For protection of the stock engine the limiter clicks in and won't allow you to go any faster in gear. I think its set at 6500? So 60 - 80 is 4th. You may just be hitting the limiter and not know any better. Shifting can be an art form with the Blast.

Superbike hits 90 in 1st.

Adam you should seriously consider stepping up to an xb9. It's got enough power to get you to speed safely but nothing crazy to scare the bejesus out of you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast