Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of storage, was running fine until....

Ok so my 03 XB9R has been packed up and shipped overseas. I rode it up until the day before it was packed and then drained all fluids.
    I shipped the bike 1 Dec 11 and just started putting all together about a week ago. I had to buy a new battery as the old one was toast I guess from age and sitting too long and wouldnt hold any sort of charge whatsoever.
    After replacing the battery I had put 1 gallon of fuel in and fired right up. Decided to ride it into work and it ran fine. After a few hours started it up and rode back to the gas station and filled up completely and rode back to work, no issues. I was on a 24hr shift so the bike sat the rest of the night, maybe a good 10hrs. Went out after I got off and started it up but I noticed that it was a little hesitant to start, thought maybe it was a little colder than it liked. Started again and would not stay running the engine did not want to rev very well just wanted to die, even at WOT.
    So after pushing the bike home about 2 miles I plug it in and check codes. I was getting a code 13 O2 sensor running lean. Also did a TPS reset and didnt help a bit.
    Been doing some research on this but it kinda seems all over the place and could be a number of issues but unsure how to check them all.
    From what I got it could be a cam sensor? How do I diagnose a faulty one?
    Possibly fuel filter clogged with some crap after sitting for 3 months?
    Any other suggestions?
    I dont really want to throw parts at it because I have just dumped a bunch of money into it for registration and to pass TUV inspection.

fouled the plugs? I'd check those 1st

Check your plugs,I have had to change them a couple of times on my xb9r,these bikes remind me sometimes of the old two stroke engines back in the day,they were easy to foul the plugs also.

Sweet i'll have to check them when I get off work in the morning. I just hope one of these parts stores carry something that will work. Finding it hard/expensive to get parts over here.

I was getting a code 13 O2 sensor
    if the ecm already tells you what seems wrong, why don't you just fix it?

Correct me if im wrong but an O2 sensor failure would'nt necessarily keep the bike from running. I mean the bike does initially run on set parameters with no O2 input until reaching operating temperature.:p

It just means its running lean Change the plugs and if it runs I would get some green or ethenol seafoam through her as quickly as possible.

It will be a while before ill be able to change them. Went to the parts shop today and they said it would be 2-3 weeks before they can get them since its Germany. I ended up just ordering some off Amazon and should be here in a week or so. IDK why some of these Germans have to be so difficult and unwilling to help. I just ordered a bunch so if it happens again I wont have to wait so long. I'll come back with an outcome once I get them. Thanks

Well I pulled the plugs today and they actually look fine, a little on the light brownish grey side but still look good. So I decided to drain the fuel even though I just filled up with fresh gas a few days ago. Once I started draining I noticed it smelled bad. Maybe a little residual was left in the tank and mixed with the new gas but still. I just put another gallon of fresh in it and some fuel system cleaner but is still not wanting to stay running. Any suggestions?

Does it run normally when it's warm?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast