Thread: Hand troubles ....

Well this is a topic that has been discussed many times by a lot of people on this forum and many others ..

I know I have discussed it before, but a couple more suggestions may help ..

Will dropping the foot pegs a inch help keep my hips from locking up ?

My hand , I dont know if its because I need real bar ends instead of the factory plastic crap , but my throttle hand just goes completely numb to the point I cant feel it , its not potassium .. I bought the cramp buster and no dice lol the cramp didnt bust ..

Last resort try new grips , people say bigger grips , people say smaller grips , I dont know what to say , I would hate to spend 60 bucks on a really nice pair of grips to get hammered and not resolve the problem.

I thought about risers , but , eh .. I dont like the look , I might as well get a cruiser if Im sitting up ..

So what do you all think >

My biggest fear is I might actually have to step off from riding this style of bike and go to a eww ( little throw up in my throat) crusier

You just have to teach yourself to RELAX your grip. Honestly, that will do it.
    If it were anything else, both hands would go numb, not just your throttle hand.

Glad you mentioned this. I have the same trouble. Never did before with all my other sport bikes but I'm 37 now. A little heavier around the waist and a little lazier.You really have to make a mental note to use your lower body muscles to hold yourself upright rather than relax on the bars. The risers will help as will the lower pegs but really the bikes are set up perfect to handle. I can't make up my mind either, bar risers or get off my lazy ass and ride it like what it was built for.

I have an 09ss and started riding it at 55 yrs young. My hands, wrist and shoulder blades hurt. I'm 6ft and 165lbs. I've learned to sit more upright and not lean on the bars. And I did go with lower pegs. Gloves seem to help also. Mine are padded. Most of the time I'm pretty comfortable now.

Use your core to keep you up and don't rest your weight on the bars as others have said. This helps as does a change in the geometry of the bars. Experiment and find what works best for you.

Its called carpal tunnel . Get used to it , you can try a brace , but they usually do not work much .

Its called carpal tunnel . Get used to it , you can try a brace , but they usually do not work much .
    LOL I wouldnt bet on that to much , I am a mechanic, I am working 8 - 10 hours a day with hand tools , I lift 100 lb items all day, No numbness, no locking of the fingers, no stale feelings in the arm , wrists , shoulder or fingers.

This only happens when I am riding, Ive ridden cruisers,snowmobiles etc etc never a problem, its when I am leaning down , my hand cant hold on to the grip without falling asleep (pins and needles feeling)

but thanks for your input .. atleast it was a suggestion.

I will 2nd the carpal tunnel. The numbness sets in for me when my hand is in the same spot for prolonged periods. I can be riding and have no presure on my throttle hand ( holding it in place with the grip of my pinky) and my right hand will just slowly start going numb. As soon as I take my hand off the grip and shake it a bit the feeling comes back.

I put foam grips on my x1 11 years ago that really helped keep my hands from going numb. Have to replace them about every 3 years. Think the brand name is grab on.