Thread: Oil Change Question

Hey guys...

Just watched the videos, etc... Figured I'm going to change my own oil as the local HD shop is royally screwing me around, and I don't want to give them another dime. I change the oil in my truck myself, so I figure this should be a piece o cake. Just a couple Q's!

Sorry, bike is a 2010 xb9sx

To verify:

2.5q in the swing arm (roughly, each bike may vary a bit)
    1q in the primary
    fill the filter

What oil do you guys recommend? The amsoil 20w50 for both??

Thanks!

I don't fill the filter, just pour in small amount to keep it flowing. Video says 4oz.

Amsoil seems to be one of the favorites. I switched from that to Mobil 1 synth due to the fact its not readily available for less than $12 quart in my town. Otherwise I'd be running Amsoil.

One thing to pay attention to, if you're using a torque wrench, be very careful with tightening the drain plug on the swing. You'll find many posts on here where the plug was tightened too much and it ended up stripping the threads in the swing arm. Sounds stupid, but it's very easy to do.

I believe the concensus is the service manual offers an incorrect torque spec.

Okay, cool. Thanks! I need to invest in a decent torque wrench so now seems like a good time to do so.

Is the torque mentioned in the video for the swing arm correct then?

I need to invest in a decent torque wrench
    If I rememeber correctly countless people have stripped the drain plugs using a torque wrench on them. DO NOT rely on the specs( I heard they were WRONG!!!) for tightening the drain plugs. Use your common sense and hand tighten,NOT too tight though. After you have fluids changed and things back together ride the bike and get it up to operating temp. Then go back and make sure your drain plugs feel ok. Treat them like spark plugs and gently tighten things up. Go back and check occasionally.
    I repeat DO NOT use a torque wrench to tighten your drain plugs. And never mention this again that you even thought of it. Trust me you 'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Inactive
    what netty and lesley said and if i might ad, let the swingarm and primary drain for several hours if you can. and if you feel unsure about doing this service the 1st time, have a local buell or sportster owner help you in person. these are incredibly easy bikes to service and maintain as you'll find out. there are no bad oil choices. i like belray gearsaver or motul synthese #80 in the primary as both give a nice smooth clutch feel, specific to wet clutch trans applications, and the shifting is buttery smooth. also, the 2007-2011 toyota yaris 1.5L oil filter fits all buell XB's and is $3 at ****-mart. it's a purolator, works great, super cheap.

yeah dont rely on the manual for torque specs. just tighten it. you dont need to torque it. i wouldnt bother filling the filter either. if you have ever seen an engine start without a filter on it you would know your wasting your time. that oil comes out of the filter housing at about mach 1 :)

+1 to all that ^^^

I fill my oil filter about 60%. Remember to rub a little oil onto the gasket with your finger before screwing on the filter.

After a couple of rides go back and check your oil level, you'll probably need to top it off a little. always check the level when the bike is warm.

I've been running mobil 1 in both holes for 4yrs and 12k miles without any problems. Mobil / Standard oil has been around since the beginning, don't buy into the hype of all that other top shelf bull****.

Thanks for the info and advice guys! I'll just hand tighten the drain plug for sure.

IS

The Manuel said to fill filter half full...