Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalling out

Ok, so I took the bike out today and everything was fine at first. Got about 15 miles from home and was at a stoplight....when I went to take off, it quit. Ok...no problem...I assumed vapor lock at first. Popped the gas cap, and by the time I had rolled thru the intersection it started back up. 1/2 a mile later (with cap still popped open) at the NEXT light, same damned thing. Luckily nobody was behind me this time. Got over to the side of the road, gave it a sec and again...fired back up. Drove it to the first parking lot and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It started up fine and was ok until about a nile from home. Same deal...went to take off from a stop and it quit, only this time I got it to fire back up right away.

Checked my plug & wire, both are brand new and seated good. Vent line has no kinks or clogs. Das boot is brand new. I'm sorta stumped. Any ideas on what to check next? It does seem to be idling a bit high, but I dont want to mess with anything until I get a better idea of whats wrong.
    And if it makes any difference...its a 2001 Blast with 5600 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

sounds like a vacum leak check the carb seat.

Checked that brumbear. Everything seems to be fine there. If this problem was consistent, it'd be easier to track down. It did it last week and no problems again until the ride today. Ive taken it out 4 times trying to duplicate the conditions and its ran fine. All Ive done was turn the idling down to a more respectable level. *shrugs* So...still stumped....

I think I may have tracked down the culprit....
    Sinc eit only seems to do this when the bike is hot, I was told it's most likely the coil. After it's sat for a few minutes, it starts right back up like nothing happened. Coil gets hot and when I try to take off from a stop, bam...no spark. Sit, cool, repeat...So...tomorrow I'm headed out to track one down locally, unless someone has another suggestion that could cause the same weirdness......

Ok....finally managed to get the bike to act up again on MY terms (lol). I checked the ignition module, and yes, I'm getting the LED to light up the way its supposed to. So, I'm down to the coil being the culprit. I dont have any tester equipment, so I'll have to do this all the hard way. The coil I have on there is gonna cost almost 60 to replace, so she'll prolly be sitting still until I can get the $ together for it. :(

That's too bad. I just had to put a new tire on mine. At least we had the money for it. But, it saves me so much on gas I had to get it.

Hope you get it figured out soon. Mine was brand new when I got it, but had sat in the shop for 3 years. And, I couldn't keep it running at low speeds. Since this was my first street bike, I didn't have a license and tried to take my test on it. It kept stalling out, so I failed. Took it back to the shop. They had it for 3 days, but I'm not sure what they did. Put another 3 miles on it, took the test again and aced it.

I have a guy supposed to come over in the next cpl days to help me figure it out. I'm still hoping for a low cost problem. I'm not even going to touch it now until I have someone with a bit more experience giving me a hand.

Well.....update to my issue.....

Replaced the boot and it made a hell of a difference. At least at first. Now, it doesnt want to idle right at all. Ive dbl and triple checked the boot seating and its got a good seal. I DID run it out of gas and I'm thinking I may have garbage gumming up a jet. Ive never done this before and reading the material here is a bit overwhelming. Is it an easy job? And how much am I looking at for cost? Currently on a tight budget, but I want/need this ride going (for my own sanity. ;) ) Was too hot out yesterday to get into working on it, so I just parked it and walked away. LOL Anyway, Ive flipped the diode, how do I disable the kickstand safety (since Ive seen it listed as a possible cause for interference but havent been able to find a post with instructions to actually do it). Not gonna touch carb until everything else is eliminated. THX

Cut and twist the wires together, Then electrical tape it and tuck it somewhere safe.

Thats all there is to it? Ok, gonna try that now, thank you, pierce.

I'm really getting frustrated here tho. I got the idling down where it should be (close anyway, by ear), so its not revving bad anymore. Just got back from a quick ride and it sputtered and quit at the stop. Got it started (after 5 tries and quits), started down the road and it popcorned something wicked, I pulled onto my street and into my drive (yep, was that close to home luckily). It stalled again as I parked. Got it restarted but it doesnt want to stay idling. Almost like a skip, then it bogs out and dies on me if I try to give it some throttle.

Checked the led's on the ignition module and they flash brightly. I'm thinking maybe bad plug wire?? Garbage in the carb? Possibly bad coil? It only acts up when it's warmed up, if that helps.

***edit***
    I did try running with the gas cap loose and it doesnt make a difference

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast