Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking the static timing with ECMSpy for Mono

I just did 16000 kilometers service for my 2007 XB12STT. I tried to check the static timing with newer ECMSpy for Mono, but I didn't find that functionality at all. I gave up and used older ECMSpy. Do the newer one have this functonality or not? TPS resetting worked fine with newer one.

did you pay fit ecmspy for mono? if you didn't it doesn't work. You must donate to have a working copy.

Yes, I have paid version and I also already have used that one for TPS resetting and burning race map to ECM. I just didn't find the static timing section. Maybe I'm just blind... :)

http://www.ecmspy.com/cgi-bin/detail...DFI2&offset=85

digital in, bit 0 (rightmost bit).
    seems easier to me to listen to the fuel pump starting.

Oh, that is so much easier in the old ECMSpy: There is a big CPS Signal screen in Diagnostics page.

And instructions for doing the check (from ecmspy.com):
    How to check static timing:

This is done by slowly rotating the engine, whilst watching the Cam Position Sensor on the Diagnostics page.

1. Raise the back wheel off the floor
    2. Remove timing inspection plug
    3. Put bike into 5th gear to ease fine turning of the engine
    4. Raise side stand
    5. Select Diagnostics page in ECMSpy or similar and connect to the ECM.
    6. Turn back wheel forward slowly, until the timing mark appears at the left of the inspection hole
    7. The CPS value should be 0 or 5, depending on which cylinder is due to fire next. If it is on 0, go to next step, if on 5, rotate engine one more full revolution, then follow the next step.
    8. Rotate the wheel very slowly until the CPS value in ECMSpy or similar increases to 5 and the fuel pump starts running. This is the exact point of firing.

Now check the timing mark inside the inspection hole. If it is exactly central all is good, if to the left, then the timing is advanced, if to the right of the hole, it is retarded. If the timing is not correct, follow the instructions in your service manual to correct.
    Am I right, the digital in value should be like 00000000 for CPS value 0 and 00000001 for CPS value 5 in the newer version?

yes.
    it's easier imo to align the mark, then turn the sensor assembly til the fuel pump primes.

yes.
    it's easier imo to align the mark, then turn the sensor assembly til the fuel pump primes.
    Can you elaborate on this method?

Ich, your method is more than just checking the timing, you're adjusting it at the same time by turning timing plate?

In that way, is there any differences by adjusting timing mark against front or rear cylinder? Or how you can find out you're adjusting front cylinder?

I'm such a noob. The timing mark cannot be seen if the rear cylinder is in end of the compression stroke / start of the power stroke.

Ich, your method is more than just checking the timing, you're adjusting it at the same time by turning timing plate?
    Yes, because
    a) the mark on the crankshaft will not change position on it's own
    b) the key of the rotor cup will not change position on it's own
    c) the blips of the rotor cup will not change position on their own
    d) the sensor assy. will not change position on it's own

and if one of the statements above is not true, timing has to be set up anyway. once done correctly, no further checks required, because these are all parts that do not wear while the engine is in use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast