Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Buell Blast 500 - My First Project Bike

I just purchased a 2000 Buell Blast 500 and I am so excited. I got from a local junkyard for $500, I asked about the history of the bike and he told me he got it from a guy that rode it a bunch but had stored it for a year and decided he need to get rid of it. It had been laid down but Here are a few pictures before I started getting into it.

It doesn't run but that didn't stop me from getting it. I have replaced the battery and added new oil. When I put it into gear I can hear the engine compression so I know the engine isn't seized.

The problem comes with the electrical. When I turn the key the odometer turns on and gives me the miles ready out. When I hit the start button I don't get any clicking sound. Here are a few pictures to show the condition of the started switch and handle bars

When I removed the seat and gas tank I found some of the wiring harness had been rubbed so much I found some wiring had been exposed. Here is a picture of it.

I used a voltmeter tester and found that the the wires did get power but when I took the throttle apart I didn't get in power. Anyone have an idea what would cause this I am all ears.

I would love any help so I can get the awesome bike back up and running. So if you have any places you recommend for parts, or where I can get the service manual for cheap, I am grateful for any help.

My recommendation would be to get a manual and trace the electrical. Is the kill switch missing? Trace all the wires from the electric start, to on down the line. Make sure that the kill switch is working properly. If it is set to 'kill', you won't hear a click, it kills everything. Make sure all wires are plugged in and both front and rear grounds are secure. Check those first and check back here with a progress check.

Concur!!!

Nice Mandalorian decal!

Hey thanks, I knew it I had to get it when it had the Mandalorian Decal.

Now why can't I come across deals like this?? Have fun with it

I have been able to get the bike to cycle but not start. I have replaced the spark plug and put gas into the gas tank. Does anyone have ideas on what I am missing to get this bike to start?

Check the boot between the carb and intake. Common culprit for most starting and running issues with the Blast

Did you trace all the electrical from the starter? Whats the deal with the kill switch, is it on or off - missing etc? What happens when you press the starter now, anything different or nothing at all?

If you traced the wires and all are good you should at least get a click (at the relay, at the very least ...).

Let us know if all wires are traced.

I realized that I made a rookie mistake after spending 8 hours trying to get it to start. I needed to put the kickstand up to start the bike. It came to me when I was pouring through the service manual racking my brain hoping to get the thing started. I feel like an idiot not realizing that until I had spent so much time going through the bike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast